Schooling fish dont school?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I thought was schooling is really shoaling. I suppose it would be easier to observe if I had much more neon tetras and rummy nose tetras. By the definition provided my neons are low density schoolers. They somewhat hang out near each other but not in a tight group and they hardly ever face the same direction all at once- giving the impression that they are off doing their own thing. So if I want that "school" effect, which is really shoaling, I'd need a somewhat larger number of a fish species that is considered a shoaling species. If only I could find more rummy nose tetras locally. They are more of a shoaling fish instead of a schooling fish.

Thank you for the article. :)

Bearchumjs said:
What I thought was schooling is really shoaling. I suppose it would be easier to observe if I had much more neon tetras and rummy nose tetras. By the definition provided my neons are low density schoolers. They somewhat hang out near each other but not in a tight group and they hardly ever face the same direction all at once- giving the impression that they are off doing their own thing. So if I want that "school" effect, which is really shoaling, I'd need a somewhat larger number of a fish species that is considered a shoaling species. If only I could find more rummy nose tetras locally. They are more of a shoaling fish instead of a schooling fish.

Thank you for the article. :)

Rummy Nose are one of the few that often will tightly school. Esp in large groups ;)
See if there is an Aquarium Club near you. Better prices and healthy fish.

There's nothing wrong with having a peaceful larger fish in the tank to get them to school up tighter, I have never seen it adversely affect the fish in any way. Personally though I just pick species that have a tighter schooling tendency. Many of the shiner species I've kept as well as certain danio species seem to tight schoolers no matter the tank situation.
Yep, as long as you get a PEACEFUL fish, you might see them "school up" every now and then. But if they are schooling constantly, they might be frightened. You might want to give them a break and make slow introductions with the new bigger fish. They might not school all the time after that, but it is better than nothing, and you don't want unhappy fish! Then again, if you try fish with higher schooling tendencies next time, you might get some better results!:)
Hope this helps!
-Bettaluv

Thanks guys! I will probably not add a bigger fish. I'm going to add 2 or 3 more leopard danios in a few weeks and that will pretty much stock up my tank. My only other plan is to get more rummy nosed tetras if they ever get them in at the pet store. I've learned alot about fish behavior from your answers. Thanks again!

O can tell if my ember tetras are being stressed out by my beta depending on whether or not they school. When I first got them he would occasionally nip at them and they schooled very tightly. Now they are great friends and hardly school at all!

Back
Top Bottom