Schooling fish ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking for some good schooling fish ideas to stock in my 20gallon planted tank. Tank is still being put together, driftwood still soaking, etc. It will probably be about 2 weeks before it is ready for fish. My filter is already cycled and is currently hanging out on the back of my 55, so I wont have to wait to cycle once the tank is up and running (yeah!!!).

I originally thought about red platys, but I think I would rather have a nice schoal instead, and avoid all that livebearer stuff. Lol I really dont think I want tetras, what other nice schooling fish are out there?

Also, I plan to have a GBR pair (after the tank has been well established for a few months) and probably a group of khuli loaches. Would like a nice shoal to compliment these guys down the road.

Harlequin rasboras school very well. Many of the best schoolers are actually tetras. An oddball fish that actually schools together pretty tight are glass cats.

Harlequin rasboras school very well. Many of the best schoolers are actually tetras. An oddball fish that actually schools together pretty tight are glass cats.

ah you beat me to it- glass cats and harlequin or b. raspbora are a couple of my favorites

Agreed with H. Rasboras, Rummynose, and Cardinal / Neon tetras. While the last two are two different species, they are so similar in appearance they will school together. BloodFin tetras also school fairly well.

Thanks everyone. I think I will look into the harlequin raspboras, and maybe the glass cats. Those sound pretty cool :)

Ok, so I really like the glass cats. Very different. Would a school of 6 be a decent number? In a 20H?

I wouldn't go with glass cats in a 20 tall. Like mumma said they like schools of ten or more and would probably be more sufficient in a 55 or a 45 minimum

Back
Top Bottom