Schooling Fish Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aholloway906

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone

I am excited to add more fish and am looking for suggestions as to what a good schooling fish would be to add. I feel that with the 7 "individuals" I have ( 5mollies one mickey and one dwarf gourami) it would be good to add a group that will swim together. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I won't be adding them anytime soon since I just added 4 this week.

Thanks in advance:fish2:

Neon tetras or cardinal tetras are very nice school fish. Cardinal look more vibrant and beautiful than neons btw.

Your first consideration when adding fish should be tank size. How large is it? Secondly, you'll want to make sure that any fish you add aren't fin nippers, as your gourami will be a tempting target. Thirdly, what are your water parameters, such as PH and hardness? With mollies, I would guess that you have fairly hard water and a base PH. Some tetras do better in base water than others.
If you want larger schooling fish, I would suggest giant danios or Australian rainbows, if your tank is large enough. Both are energetic, interesting fish.

Stay away from tiger barbs strictly.

Idk dude what you gonna do when your mollies start breeding? The Tiger Barbs will eat the fry and chase around and harass the mollies. So get like 6 or more tiger barbs, or they won't enjoy to kill your mollies as much. Good Luck

U sure u mean Plecos aka sucker fish? I usually never seen them in school. I don't even see them swim. Usually one or maximum two I have seen the most in a tank and main purpose as a cleaner.

Last edited by a moderator:
U sure u mean Plecos aka sucker fish? I usually never seen them in school. I don't even see them swim. Usually one or maximum two I have seen the most in a tank and main purpose as a cleaner.
I think that fiddlercrab meant Corydoras. I am pretty sure that Corys can live in groups of 6, but prefer more due to their schooling nature.

Since I don't know what size tank you have, I am not too confident recommending any kind of schooling fish. Just to be safe, I'll stick with recommending nano-schooling fish. Personal favourites among that group include; Chili Rasboras, Dwarf Corydoras (such as Salt and Pepper, Pygmy, and Tail-Spot), or maybe Neon Tetras if you feel like going with a classic.

I think that fiddlercrab meant Corydoras. I am pretty sure that Corys can live in groups of 6, but prefer more due to their schooling nature.

Since I don't know what size tank you have, I am not too confident recommending any kind of schooling fish. Just to be safe, I'll stick with recommending nano-schooling fish. Personal favourites among that group include; Chili Rasboras, Dwarf Corydoras (such as Salt and Pepper, Pygmy, and Tail-Spot), or maybe Neon Tetras if you feel like going with a classic.
I also suggest neon or cardinal tetras. Best schooling fish.

no, no, no, corydoras are dunb and don't clean anything. Common plecos are a great schooling fish.
I have yet to see Plecos schooling. How can they school when they don't even swim and u know how large they can get?

For the OP - could you post tank size please so we can ensure suggestions will match your requirements and aquarium setting.

https://youtu.be/HqgjgN7HIig

They do, but not really relevant to the OPs question unless they have a lake they're stocking lol.

Rasboras are also nice schooling fish from what I've heard.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom