Schooling fish with an angelfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What types of schooling fish can be with an angelfish in a 30 gallon?

I want 8 of a schooling fish. I'm thinking cardinals or rummy nose tetras but if there are barbs or another type of schooling fish I can get I'd like to know so that I can keep my options open!!!

Also keep in mind the size of your fish. If the fish is same or small size then the angels mouth, they will eat them

Also keep in mind the size of your fish. If the fish is same or small size then the angels mouth, they will eat them

Yup. All my neons started disappearing and I finally figured out it was the angel eating them. I wish I knew this before.

That's why I think maybe if I get something a little bigger it could work. Any suggestions??

I just don't want anything that's gonna nip at the angel!

Do you already have your angel? Is he/she still relatively small?
I keep neons with mine - and even though all three angels are fully grown - I still have all five of my original 5, and 1 left of the new five I added in... turned out my pleco was eating them and not my angels.

I've heard from other fish keepers say that if they grew up together - they should be fine together.

I basically follow the same rules as with Bettas - if they nip at fins, don't mix 'em!

Consider smaller varieties of Danios, Longer bodied Rasboras, Medium to large sized smaller Tetras ( i.e. Golds, Silver tips, Penguines, Cardinals, etc) all come to mind

Do you already have your angel? Is he/she still relatively small?
I keep neons with mine - and even though all three angels are fully grown - I still have all five of my original 5, and 1 left of the new five I added in... turned out my pleco was eating them and not my angels.

I've heard from other fish keepers say that if they grew up together - they should be fine together.

I basically follow the same rules as with Bettas - if they nip at fins, don't mix 'em!

Plecos aren't predators. They may well have eaten the dead bodies, but I highly doubt they are in any way responsible for their deaths.

Full grow neons should work, also rummy nose, black phantom, pristella, bleeding heart, diamond, black skirt, and buenos aires. Also some rasboras would work too. Anything 2" and over should be alright.

Neons are food for angels in the wild. I would go with larger tetras, like bleeding hearts, Colombians, black skirts, etc. :)

I have zebra, golden, and neon danios in with my angel. It's cool because all the danios school together and don't really pay attention to the angel. I would highly recommend danios

Angels do not necessarily eat small fish. There are many factors to be taken into consideration. First if angels are bought that have a body size of a dime or nickel and added to a community tank when that small they often are fine with small fish as they mature and grow. What I've found in over 30 years of keeping angels is sometimes when males mature they can get quite aggressive and that is when small fish can become prey targets. I started out with 14 angels in my 220g but after about a year I had to sell two of my males because they became overly aggressive. They caused trouble with all the other fish. Since they have been gone the other 12 adult breeding angels are fine and I only have small fish (cardinals, rummynose, harliquen rasboras, threadfin rainbows, and a couple Rachovii killifish) housed with them. Neons often seem to be the most targeted small fish that angels can pick on but even they can work depending on the temperments of the angels in the tank and how large and well planted a tank is.

Back
Top Bottom