Schooling Fish with Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaked1123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello again!

I'm here today because I need some help finding a compatible schooling fish to live with my Blood Parrot, Angelfish, Gold Gourami, Rainbowfish, and Juli Corys in my 75g tank. I know I'm near fully stocked, and I would like to find another school that can put up with these fish.

My #1 choices were Black Ruby Barbs or Odessa Barbs, both available at my LFS, but I don't know if they will nip my Angelfish. I had Serpae Tetras in my tank originally, but they ended up nipping my Gourami and leaving my 4-5 inch Angel alone. Regardless, I had to net them all up. I am also thinking about Black Phantom Tetras. I was also going to consider New Guinea Rainbows but I would only have room for 3-4.

Would any of these schools work? Would the two species of Rainbows stick together or do they need more of their own kind? Do you have any other suggestions that I didnt mention? Thanks.

I had a school of 6 serpae tetras with 4 angels and 4 pearl gouramis. Never had an issue with one another. I guess it depends on the individual fish. I don't know about rainbows but I think tetras should work. As long as they are fast enough and don't easily fit into the mouth of other fish, I think they should be ok.

You can keep those small Harlequins with big cichlids?

With the cichlids you have I'd give it a shot. Harlequins are not much smaller than the barbs you are interested in. That said, I don't see a problem with those barbs.

Back
Top Bottom