schooling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipedreamer86

Aquarium Advice Freak
This might be dumb but I NEVER get to my.lfs before they are down to the last few lemon tetras every week. Right now I called and they said they were down to the last 3 lemons I really would like at least 10, but if I get.them a few at a.time would they school with any other types of tetras and feel secure. Sorry if this.is a dumb question....

This question has been asked before and the answer that was given was probably, they should but some fish are weird. I added 4 neon tetras at a time and they all school together, but you may get a weird bunch. Just try it out and see

I meant while there's only.3 or 4 would the.find security with the other tetras in my tank or just stress until more like them arrived

With other small fish in the tank they should be fine until others are added. If you had big fish like angels or larger gourami's in the tank then they most likely would get stressed. They also will do better if you tank is fairly heavily planted. Can you ask you LFS to hold 10 Lemons from the next shipment? If they say no offer to pay 1/2 as a deposit. But most stores will do that for their customers.

I'll have to ask them. It's hit and miss with a lot of fish. They don't get many rummy nose or lemon tetras in and those along with bloodfins are my favorite tetras. You can get all these new fancy glo-lights or neons any.day though. I REALLY like the lemons though. I may just wait til I'm lucky enough to get two days off in a row again and order them online. On the bright side though I.found an albino Cory tonight and added him. Up to 10 now :) I.wish I.could sex them! Would the different "morphs" mate?

No I don't believe different species of cory cats will interbreed. If you decide to order lemons check Liveaquara out because they have a really cheap overnight shpping rate and a 14 day live guarantee.

The only thing for corys is bronze and albino will probably breed as they are both corydoras aeneus.

That was my real question river. Are the different corys different species or "breeds" like dogs they interact and shoal with one another like buds, are they like a pug and a beagle or.are they like a.cat and a tiger?

Also rivwrcats do u have any experience with mondo grass in your planted tanks? It has taken off faster than anacharis in mine and I rather like it. It's big, provides cover, and is low maintenance. Any thoughts?

Mondo grass is not an aquatic plant. It will live for awhile but will eventually die. Question is... is it really mondo grass? Have a picture?

Now let me see if I remember this right... Corydoras is the genus and each type of cory is a species. So take a Panda, Julii, and Peppered cory, each is a different species.

They prefer to shoal and forage for food with their own species in nature. In aquariums, mine to be exact I have seen different species foraging together as I have 5 different species in my 220g.

It's mondo grass, I've seen it at Pet Smart labeled as Peacock fern too. It is not a true aquatic. It will live for a time but it will eventually die. You can leave it in if you want but watch for it starting to decay/die so you can get it out of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom