Scientific name please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seepu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I get a scientific name for this guy? ... and sorry about the water spots... /blush

Attachments

• hpim1991_191.jpg
    hpim1991_191.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 28
It does look like him, all except the dark finage. My guy has light/translucent fins at the moment, but perhaps that is because they are just now coming back in full from my nasty sevrums (which in turn were beat up by my 2 JD... tit-for-tat!)

This is a good place for me to start looking.. THANK YOU!

I think fishyfanatic has the right ID. Do a google image serach for Leporinus fasciatus. Here is a link that I came up with where it has clear finnage.

here

Is that your fish? What other fish are with him, and how big is the tank? They can be very aggressive, and get pretty big and need a large tank. And any smaller fish will become meals with him.

He is housed with a breeding pair of Texas, and 2 as of yet unsexed JD, 3 clown loaches and 2 common plecos in a 125. They all just got moved from the 75, as the Texas are needing a bit more room for spawning aggression. I know these guys get big, as do the Texas, JD, plecos and loaches.... THAT'S the plan !.... well.. the REAL plan, is to get my husband to fall in love with fish in the 125, and come to the conclusion on his own that the 125 has just gotten too small for these MiniMonsters.

Cross your fingers for me!

EDIT:

Ok.. so I have been looking for the differences between Leporinus fasciatus and Leporinus affinis.... and... I can't get my untrained eye to see them.

I saw both species with yellow on their heads, some fish of both speicies can have a more yellow body coloration, both have the same finnage, some fish of both species have their stripes branch off around the middle of the fish, and towards the tail....dunno what Im missing.

Back
Top Bottom