Score!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RxFaction

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Went down to the local thrift store today and snagged another 5 gallon tank (which I really don't need more 5 gallon tanks :lol: ) for $6 with everything in the picture included. Seems like a decent filter, and I like the use of a bio wheel. Do filters with the pad laying horizontally instead of vertically work well? My plan for this tank is to make it a Betta tank. I plan on switching out the incandescent light with an LED light and reselling the decorations and rocks. What are your guys ideas on what I should do with it as a Betta tank? What plants can I put in it? I plan to make it a planted tank. Also would Florescent grow plants better than LED? I use LED in my other aquariums but thought I'd ask because I have the chance to go either way here. Thanks!

high end LEDs would work great but fluorescent lights would be cheaper. will this be high light or low light?

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like the filter is integrated into the hood with the light. If the existing bulb is an incandescent that screws on/off, then I would swap it out with a 13w 6500k compact fluorescent (CFL) bulb. They run a lot cooler, produce more light, are inexpensive, and use less energy than than their incandescent counterparts. They are good for growing plants. Low to low medium light plants should do well in there.
The filter should do fine. Replacement cartridges might be hard to locate depending on the brand. You might be able to use filter floss instead (the carbon in the cartridge is not really needed). The flow rate is not very high but should be fine for a betta.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah I went to my local fish store and looked for lighting. Saw a CFL bulb that I can get for $10. It was for reefs though. One half emitted blue and the other half emitted white light. Also was in Walmart and saw replacement cartridges. Marineland makes one identical too. I use my own media in all my filters anyways, so I will probably do the same here. Like in the Tetra internal filters that came with my other 5 gallon tanks I will refuse to use the standard media. There is no way for Biological bacteria to grow in them. I just put some dual layer filter pad on the bottom, carbon after that, and on the top I have ceramic rings. Works pretty well.

Is it normal for the leaves on this Amazon sword to be dying and have little green algae dots on them? Also here's a picture of the whole tank. This is one of my 5 gallons.

Also the filter and light are separate pieces. Hey I have a question about some plants in one of my 5 gallon planted tanks. Are the dying leaves normal with the small algae dots? The plant pictured ks am Amazon Sword. Also here's a picture of the whole tank!

I'd ditch the hood, get a cheap Aqueon Powerflow 10, stuff it with sponges and Biomax and then invest in a Finnex Stingray Cliplight. Best for plants. I think you could do a RCS tank with a couple small fish (Scarlet Badis if you're up to the challenge) Any other questions?

No carbon? I have a question about one of my current 5 gallon tanks if its appropriate to ask. It relates to some plants dying in it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here are some pictures of the issue. The leaves of my Amazon swords are getting lots of little algae spots on them and slowly dying. The Anubias is doing fine. The bottom is just a picture of the whole tank

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I went to my local fish store and looked for lighting. Saw a CFL bulb that I can get for $10. It was for reefs though. One half emitted blue and the other half emitted white light. Also was in Walmart and saw replacement cartridges. Marineland makes one identical too. I use my own media in all my filters anyways, so I will probably do the same here. Like in the Tetra internal filters that came with my other 5 gallon tanks I will refuse to use the standard media. There is no way for Biological bacteria to grow in them. I just put some dual layer filter pad on the bottom, carbon after that, and on the top I have ceramic rings. Works pretty well.

You should be able to get the 6700k CFLs at most hardware stores.
You can use carbon in your filter but over time it will no longer adsorb substances. Water changes are your bet bet for maintaining good water quality.
Regarding the sword, if it is not healthy it can become a target for algae to become established. What are you feeding it? It is a heavy root feeder.

I have the same tank. It's planted and I have a betta. I think the filter works fine. I replaced the bulb with a fluorescent from Wal-Mart in the fish section. Grows anubias, java ferns, crypts, and java moss perfectly.

I have the same tank. It's planted and I have a betta. I think the filter works fine. I replaced the bulb with a fluorescent from Wal-Mart in the fish section. Grows anubias, java ferns, crypts, and java moss perfectly.

Alright. Thanks! I did see that light there. My apologies for the multiple posts that are relatively the same, they kept not showing up after I submitted them and refreshed the page. Is there a way to delete some?

Alright. Thanks! I did see that light there. My apologies for the multiple posts that are relatively the same, they kept not showing up after I submitted them and refreshed the page. Is there a way to delete some?

Multiple posts happen. Maybe the mods can remove the extras. I've had that happen before. You post a reply, the cursor spins, then sits there as if it did not go through so you hit reply again, and so on.

Back
Top Bottom