SCORE!!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
This morning a coworker tipped me off about a tank at a mission store. I went to check it out, expecting it to be like a 10 gallon. As it turns out, it's a 3 foot tank (I think it is a 35 gallon) and it was only $15, so of course I had to pick it up. :lol: After all MTS is incurable! It doesn't have a hood, light, or filter so I will have to get that stuff eventually, that is, if I can even find any room for the tank in my house. The tank looks pretty old, so I'm thinking I will probably have to reseal it... don't the seals go bad after a while? Also, I noticed that the top plastic part is not connected to the tank. I can see where the silicone is, but it's not stuck to the plastic, so you can just pull the top off. I'm assuming I will have to silicone the plastic part to the tank, right?

Then the fun part begins, deciding what to do with it! :D

just inspect the seals (are they white or discolored) they last for 30+ years if they are not disturbed by the way. there is a DIY thread for reasealing tanks.. and the plastic is normaly glued with a much more difficult to remove glue silicon glue if im not mistakeing. $15 is a great deal for a 3 foot tank by the way.

Well, my other 3 foot tank was free... but yeah, this is still a great deal in my book! The seals don't look bad, but they look thinner than the seals on my other tanks, which makes me think I should reseal them. I guess I will set it up on the porch outside for a few days to see if it leaks.

why not make it a naturally planted tank?
I already have 4 planted tanks. :lol: One thing I thought about doing is getting 2 dividers, and putting a betta and a small school of small fish in each compartment. I could go nuts on the decor and make each compartment look totally different, like with different colored gravel and crazy fake plants- normally not a direction I would take (I usually prefer a more natural look) but I've seen this done before and I think it's cool. I might try something else though, I feel like I have a lot of options for a 3 foot tank. :mrgreen:

You might want to reseal the plastic rim around the top of the tank. I have a tank that has a reoccurring streak down the front glass on one end. The plastic is a little loose right above where the streak forms and I think that the problem is condensation builds up and escapes there.
Also, congrats on your new tank!

Back
Top Bottom