Score or bore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK,so as some may now, I am currently in Beijing, china atm. Everything here is SUPER cheap, buy a bottle o' coke for .50 USD! Anyhow, I picked up these two smaller pieces of driftwood for use possibly in my 10g, or 45, maybe one in each. I believe they are manzanita. Any comments? (4.90 USD Aprox)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403181501.315404.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403181533.866371.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403181552.616271.jpgapple USB adapter for scale

Score. The first is the coolest. Will the agricultural people let you take it on the airplane?

I got in trouble for taking sand from the north shore once. The air port people confiscated it from me.

No I think they thought I was trying to transport drugs. XD it was only a little bottle and it was from Hawaii.

No I think they thought I was trying to transport drugs. XD it was only a little bottle and it was from Hawaii.

Certain types of sand from Hawaii are indeed illegal to take, and even for the ones that aren't illegal it's severely frowned upon by locals here.

No it wasn't endangered. He did the test were you put chemicals on it and if it turned a certain color it had something in it. Meaning he was checking to see if it was a drug.

Put it in your checked bag, don't carry it onto the plane. That's the only way I've been able to get (read: "smuggle" ) bottles of alcohol too and from foreign locations. I imagine you could get some wood through.

Them chem tests are for both drug or explosive materials. They, ironically, swabbed and tested a cigarette lighter I'd forgotten in my back pocket once. Heh. Woops.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Put it in your checked bag, don't carry it onto the plane. That's the only way I've been able to get (read: "smuggle" ) bottles of alcohol too and from foreign locations. I imagine you could get some wood through.

Them chem tests are for both drug or explosive materials. They, ironically, swabbed and tested a cigarette lighter I'd forgotten in my back pocket once. Heh. Woops.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't have any checked in baggage, I just got my 1 personal bag and 1 carry on :p. I think I'll put it in my personal,it's actually a fairly roomy backpack.

You could check for any boreholes for quarantine? Quarantine here will confiscate any soft wood. Hard wood is ok if there are no pin holes (borer) in them.

Sent by iPhone using AA

Boreholes? o_O

Yes, from insects. Coming back from Asia to Australia they check for that. Just in case useful. They show as little pin pricks in the wood and when you tap the wood on the table, you may get like a really coarse dust come out of them.

Sent by iPhone using AA

Yeah when I came back from Hawaii they had drilled holes in my wood carved turtle. It won't matter on drift wood. It would actually help it took sink better. They might break the DW tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom