Scottyhorse's 25 Gallon Community Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, have you considered co2 injection in this tank? You should do co2 :dance:

Also, what fertilization methods are you looking at?

I am doing a DIY co2 injection, but I have no clue what ferts would not melt plants and kill shrimp! :blink:

I checked to see if they have that, but they didn't. I'll try and find it at some point.

Here is what I am getting:

Vallisneria, Italian (Vallisneria spiralis)
Ambulia (Limnophila indica)
Bacopa australis (Bacopa australis)
Mexican Oak Leaf (Shinnersia rivularis)
Moneywort (Bacopa Monnieri)
Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)
CLOVER, FOUR LEAF (Marsilea quadrifolia) 2" pots
Baby Tears , Dwarf (Hemianthus callitrichoides)(potted)

And I am getting 2 of each. Most come in bunches, so hopefull I am getting enough!

I am doing a DIY co2 injection, but I have no clue what ferts would not melt plants and kill shrimp! :blink:

Sounds good! The co2 will make the HC go nuts :D

Ferts-wise look into dry ferts. Far more economical than liquid ferts such as Seachem Flourish, as those are mainly water. I recommend getting something like this: CSM+B NKP Combo Pack Bobs Tropical Plants

Sounds good! The co2 will make the HC go nuts :D

Ferts-wise look into dry ferts. Far more economical than liquid ferts such as Seachem Flourish, as those are mainly water. I recommend getting something like this: CSM+B NKP Combo Pack Bobs Tropical Plants

Yay, I am glad! Having a carpet of some sort would be really awesome, and if the Rams spawn, I bet the fry would love it too!

Would they have ferts like that at Petsmart?
Otherwise, I will order those :D

Thanks! We have a whole butt load of snow, so we may not be able to go on thursday, but we are hoping!

Yay, I am glad! Having a carpet of some sort would be really awesome, and if the Rams spawn, I bet the fry would love it too!

Would they have ferts like that at Petsmart?
Otherwise, I will order those :D

Thanks! We have a whole butt load of snow, so we may not be able to go on thursday, but we are hoping!

I am almost positive petsmart would not have dry ferts. Since liquid ferts are mainly water, and run out faster, they make more money off of liquid ones. You would probably have to order online.

Also, how many co2 reactors are you planning on having?

I am almost positive petsmart would not have dry ferts. Since liquid ferts are mainly water, and run out faster, they make more money off of liquid ones. You would probably have to order online.

Also, how many co2 reactors are you planning on having?

Alright, I'll check the seller you suggested, and other places online. Is there a specific type of ferts I should look for?

As for the co2, I am thinking of doing 2 2liter bottles, and then 1 bottle for the gas separator. Not sure though. Suggestions?

Alright, I'll check the seller you suggested, and other places online. Is there a specific type of ferts I should look for?

As for the co2, I am thinking of doing 2 2liter bottles, and then 1 bottle for the gas separator. Not sure though. Suggestions?

Look for the NPK+Trace combo pack. This should include Potassium Nitrate (KNO3), Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4), Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4), and Plantex CSM+B (Micros).

Your co2 setup sounds good. On a tank this size, I would change out about one reactor every week, to make sure there is no bba infestation.

Look for the NPK+Trace combo pack. This should include Potassium Nitrate (KNO3), Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4), Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4), and Plantex CSM+B (Micros).

Your co2 setup sounds good. On a tank this size, I would change out about one reactor every week, to make sure there is no bba infestation.

Um, okay, kinda confusing, but sounds good (y)

bba? No. Not that stuff. I already had to deal with it. :banghead:

Another thing I want to add, in a high light/co2 injected tank, it is good to have a phosphate test kit. I bet you can get an API phosphate test kit at any chain store. You want to keep you phosphates around 1 ppm I believe.

Another thing I want to add, in a high light/co2 injected tank, it is good to have a phosphate test kit. I bet you can get an API phosphate test kit at any chain store. You want to keep you phosphates around 1 ppm I believe.

Thank you, I was actually just reading that, lol. I am also going to buy a GH and KH test kit, since I am going to be keeping German Blue Rams, and they are sensitive. So, just one more thing to buy! :lol:

Money Money Money! Fish keeping is definantly not cheap....

Thank you, I was actually just reading that, lol. I am also going to buy a GH and KH test kit, since I am going to be keeping German Blue Rams, and they are sensitive. So, just one more thing to buy! :lol:

Money Money Money! Fish keeping is definantly not cheap....

Yes, the hobby is definitely not cheap!

IMHO a GH/KH test kit isn't really necessary......I really haven't found a good reason for getting one for a FW tank. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are much more important parameters to watch when keeping rams.

Yes, the hobby is definitely not cheap!

IMHO a GH/KH test kit isn't really necessary......I really haven't found a good reason for getting one for a FW tank. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are much more important parameters to watch when keeping rams.

Good to know! I will not buy one then. Maybe at some point. Also, what wat should I dose ferts? I was thinking EI, because I only want to do it once a week, and I don't want it to be too hard.

When I get into SW, then I will start being more precise :lol:

Good to know! I will not buy one then. Maybe at some point. Also, what wat should I dose ferts? I was thinking EI, because I only want to do it once a week, and I don't want it to be too hard.

When I get into SW, then I will start being more precise :lol:

I think EI would be fine. Later on, you can get autodosers, which could allow you to do more precise methods like PPS Pro. But for now EI should be fine.

Where is a good place to buy dry trace elements, or are they in root tab form?

Your trace elements would be Plantex CSM+B. The seller I recommended to you has the "NPK+CSM+B Combo Pack" for $20 shipped, and it contains all the water column fertilizers you need. I also think it would be beneficial to get root tabs, for the heavy root-feeding plants like swords.

Hiiiii Sydney, mind if I tag along? I'm rescaping my tank to live plants soon myself, and the advice here is so far invaluable :) I'd like to keep up with you as well!

Back
Top Bottom