scratched glass, ugh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey, i cleaned out an old tank of mine and some how managed to cratch the glass :oops: any body know of a product i can use to remove the scratches. :?

Did you scratch the inside or the outside of the glass? If it is on the outside, there are a lot of rub in compounds and such that can be used to cover up the scratches.

If it is on the inside, I do not know, someone else should have a better answer that is fish safe :)

if possible, you can take the tank to a glass store and have them polish the glass for you.

it could get expensive and I bet not all glass stores do it - so best to call ahead.

a 30 gallon that I got used was pretty scratched up on the "front", so turning it around, the back looks pretty decent!

yeah i could just turn it around if i can't find any good products, only one side is scratched. thanks

sorry to tell you, but unless you've worked with high speed polishing equipment before, you're not going to be able to get rid of the scratches with some "off the shelf fix"

glass is polished using a special attachment for an orbital buffer, and using special abrasive compounds to scratch finer and finer lines into the glass, eventually the lines become microscopic and scratch so fine a line that the glass appears clear.

How about an Acrylic tank with scratches. I have a 90 Hex that is BADLY scratched in and out. Is there a product out there that will clean it up?

Blow Torch, just kidding

When they get too bad, they make good planters...Kidding again..

dynomite? :lol:

Seriously, they make a compound for scratches in acrylic, and you can prolly get some from your LFS or have them order it...

I know you can do the outside fairly easy, but the inside, You may have to drain the tank to fix them...

How about an Acrylic tank with scratches. I have a 90 Hex that is BADLY scratched in and out. Is there a product out there that will clean it up?

Elbow Grease. Really...You have to buff like crazy to get the acrylic looking good again. Check your LFS or home improvement store for the compound. Have fun.

yup - arcylic ... easier to scratch, easier to fix!

LFS or a glass store should have what you need ... failing that, craftics probably has something too.

To what extent does a scratchweaken a tank? I have a 70 gal all glass with a shallow scratch about 4 or 5 inches long, right along the front of the tank. Should I worry about the tank breaking and flooding my apartment? 8O

-Jeff

uh. don't mean to sound stupid here, but i've always heard that toothpaste is quite good for removing scratches (a bit of old wivery perhaps...). you could drain the tank to the level of the scratch and try the toothpaste first, and if that doesn't work go with the orbital buffer (just the name of the thing makes me shiver).

i won't try to get into the science of it, but i think the idea with the toothpaste is that the flouride particles fill in the scratch...or something. really unnatural toothpaste might not be best in a tank, though!!! you could try Tom's of Maine. at least that's a natural toothpaste.

hmmm... not sure if that was really a HELPFUL posting. but good luck, nonetheless. :oops:

it depends on the depth of the scratch vs the thickness of the glass

glass is cut by scratching it and then breaking along the scratch, but it's usually a pretty deep scratch they use to cut it.

my 30 gall has lots of scratches, none of them deep enough to feel with my fingernail, but you can see 'em

i wouldn't worry about it.

I think the toothpaste idea might work for acrylic, due to the very mild abrasives they contain (specially the baking soda formulas) but it would take some work and might create a "haze" where the rubbing was done. Sometimes trying to remedy a cosmetic problem creates more problems. :|

Back
Top Bottom