Scratches from Magfloat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have any experience using Magfloats?

I got one about a week and a half ago, and was really excited to use it as it look super cool. I purchased the small size, made sure it was for glass aquarium. I rinsed it off to make sure there wasn't any dust or whatnot, and followed the instructions, placing the part with the logo on the outside and the part with the velcro-like material on the inside. It cleaned all my algae off very well, but also left very tiny scratches on the glass :(

Should I try to sand off the edges to make it less sharp?? I'm reluctant to use it again because I don't want to scratch up my tank.

Did you pick up a piece of sand or gravel in it from your substrate? I have two magfloats and consider them my BFF's lol

Jesse

Not that I'm aware of! I didn't come close to my substrate line, as I was mainly just concerned with algae in the viewing space of the tank.

My oldest child played with my mag float, one glass thermometer shattered, pieces of the metal from the weight in the thermometer trapped in between the magnets, he then scraped that around th front of the tank, scratching the ever living snot out of the glass.

Not that I'm aware of! I didn't come close to my substrate line, as I was mainly just concerned with algae in the viewing space of the tank.
If you didn't catch sand or a rock possibly the scratches you see is still algae on the glass?
I have many mags and they cause no trouble without adding sand or gravel.

Here's a picture! There are a few horizontal scratches and a few vertical lines that are very small. Perhaps this is just nitpicky of me?

Attachments

• 20150914_175756.jpg
    20150914_175756.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 55
Lots of people love them. I personally do not. I use my hand and an old CC or my new fav find. A lil white plastic scraper i got in the cleaning supply aisle. Best scraper ive ever used in an aquarium. But i also dont mind wet arm, lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know some sands will scratch if the surface if it gets stuck in the pad between the magnets- I've had it happen.

It's funny because I was contemplating posting a thread regarding problems with a float mag and fine pieces of Ecocomplete sticking to the magnets. My theory is that its iron.

I thought I was being careful, but I guess next time I use it I should be EXTRA careful :I
Maybe I'll sand down the edges or something because the perimeter seemed way scratcher than the interior.

Back
Top Bottom