Scud: Is it possible to eliminate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moose9

Aquarium Advice Activist
10 gallon shrimp tank with a recent find of scuds in the water ( see here)
I really dont like/want them in the tank. Alot of people seem to enjoy them, or at least are indifferent to them but i hate them and want them gone. i have been diligently removing the ones i can see, but i know theyre in that gravel. Is there a fish i could get which would eat the scuds as they appear, and in turn keep the population down to the point where i barely notice them??

please any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm betting just about any fish you buy would eat them. My fish love scuds and mosquito larvae :)

obviously anything that would eat scuds would also eat small baby shrimp, but is there something i could house which would eat the scuds and leave the larger shrimp alone?

Are the scuds in a brine shrimp tank? If yes, I don't think you could find anything that would eat the scuds and not the shrimp. If you're breeding the shrimp for food, I'd imagine that the scuds would be better nutritionally, as adult brine shrimp would be basically nutritionally worthless aside from protein maybe.

try feeding less. i put a few Heterandria formosa in my tanks to help with them. again they can eat the baby shrimp though also.

Back
Top Bottom