SeaChem Prime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

French

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does Prime supposed to remove Nitrite, or detoxify it? And will nitrite still show on a water test if using prime for nitrite?

Seachem's "Prime"

Does Prime supposed to remove Nitrite, or detoxify it? And will nitrite still show on a water test if using prime for nitrite?

Hello French...

Prime detoxifies ammonia and removes chlorine and chloramines. That's it as far as I know. You'll have to remove nitrites and nitrates through the water change method or emerse some land plants in the tank that will do the job for you.

B

Having never used prime i cant say about nitrite but there are other treatments that detoxify both.

Seachem states that Prime detoxes nitrite temporarily up to 1ppm at a standard dose but it will still read on a test.

It actually removes ammonia (debatable but bottle states this), chlorine, and chloramines.
It detoxifies both nitrates and nitrites for up to two days.

The world may never know. SeaChem as stated so many things that don't make sense. On there bottle it says it removes ammonia. On their website they say it only detoxifies. And then on another part of their website it says it removes chloramines by breaking the bond, neutralizing the chlorine, and then REMOVING the ammonia. Silly SeaChem.

The world may never know. SeaChem as stated so many things that don't make sense. On there bottle it says it removes ammonia. On their website they say it only detoxifies. And then on another part of their website it says it removes chloramines by breaking the bond, neutralizing the chlorine, and then REMOVING the ammonia. Silly SeaChem.

Yeah... I dont think it actually does remove ammonia. When I was cycling I used it and the next day ammonia would be reading the same level... fishy fishy

Yeah... I dont think it actually does remove ammonia. When I was cycling I used it and the next day ammonia would be reading the same level... fishy fishy

What test? It's suppose to turn ammonia into ammonium. The API test kit can't tell the difference.

I remember reading that it break ammonia into ammonium, which isn't as deadly, and it still shows on ammonia tests.

When I do the water changes, I need to add Prime directly to the tank accordly the tank total volume, or I need to add this only to the water that I prepare for change?

Ex: 29g tank and I want to change 9 gallon, I need to add the Prime for entire tank or for 9g only?

Thanks

It is just a water conditioner. So add it to your untreated tap water and then add it to your tank. Dont add untreated water to tank. And you should be good

When I do the water changes, I need to add Prime directly to the tank accordly the tank total volume, or I need to add this only to the water that I prepare for change?

Ex: 29g tank and I want to change 9 gallon, I need to add the Prime for entire tank or for 9g only?

Thanks

How are doing wcs? If using buckets, you can treat each individually. If using a water changer that hooks to your sink, dose to the tank size before refilling.

Back
Top Bottom