Seachem Prime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seachem's Prime® is not a bio-starter. It is a water conditioner for eliminating chlorine, chloramines and will also aid in binding toxic metals.

It can be used up to 5 times normal strength in cases of emergencies. The hydrosulphites will not harm the fish.

You can read it from their website. I use the product all the time without negative effects.

Cheers
Steve

I usually do a little bit of an overdose when I do my water changes. Like Steve said, you can use up to 5 times the normal dose in an emergency. I have actually had to do it and have never had any problems. Also, it DOES NOT contain bacteria. This is mainly just a water conditioner.

this really bites, up in canada we have NOTHING to eliminate ammonia. Bio spira isn't available because the US government won't let it be transported in large quantities across the border. They won't allow any bottled bacteria apparently. I'm sorry, your government is way out of line these days... first iraq, now beneficial bacteria for aquariums isn't allowed across the border.

I'm sorry, your government is way out of line these days

Even though I am disgusted by your comment, :x I'll respond...
Prime doesn't eliminate ammonia. Neither does BioSpira. As far as I know, there is NOTHING that "eliminates" ammonia. It just converts it to a nontoxic form. Two rather popular ones are AmmoLock2 and AmQuel. You still have to cycle your tank with these products. They aren't bottled magic.

Keep your unnecessary comments about our government to yourself. This is a forum for aquariums. Besides, there was nothing wrong with the US led invasion of Iraq. What?, the UN's disapproval of it? Oh yeah, what about the misdirected food for oil money that Kofi Annan and others had been been hiding? And Saddam is such a nice guy anyway. Kinda sad to see him out of power...GET REAL.

cdawson said:
this really bites, up in canada we have NOTHING to eliminate ammonia. Bio spira isn't available

There is nothing to date that I am aware of that does eliminate ammonia as wabyrd has said, only products that can bind it and render it less harmful.

Many of the products available in North America are readily available to you, in your own back yard.

Amquel, Cycle and Prime as well as many others.

I also do not think that it is respectful to the original poster to have his/her thread hijacked for a political discussion. 8O

Cheers
Steve

cdawson said:
I couldn't find amquel anywhere, that would have been my first choice before getting prime.

I gave you the link in the previous post. Plus J&L has free local delivery on orders over $20.00

Cheers
Steve

I like to use the Ammo Chips too.

Sorry, I was so mad about the comment in the earlier post I forgot about the ammo chips. I've used those too. I've had the best luck with the product Ammo-Carb. It's by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. It's a mix of AC and "ammonia-removing media." It's some sort of ammonia removing resin. It comes in a red milk carton container. I guess it's dependent on your filter and the water flow, but it will seriously suck the ammonia out of your tank. Very quickly!

steve-s said:
cdawson said:
I couldn't find amquel anywhere, that would have been my first choice before getting prime.

I gave you the link in the previous post. Plus J&L has free local delivery on orders over $20.00

Cheers
Steve

I can't order online, I don't have a credit card.

You can call them directly (604) 937-1146, they may be willing to allow a cash payment. Not sure though, I've never tried.

They also have a store front that you can purchase from in Coquitlam. It's at Austin & Bluemountain. They have a great selection of corals and clams. I recommend the trip out there.

Cheers
Steve

Do they have any FW or brackish fish? I always wanted to go there but never had time. I thought it was just for saltwater, that's impression I got from the add in the yellow pages.

Sorry, I didn't even realize the topic "header" when I read the thread lead in.

They are strictly SW, but there are many crossover products in the dry good section and all very reasonabley priced compared to an LFS.

What part of Vancouver are you from? I could point you to a decent store.

Cheers
Steve

I live in burnaby right near king ed pets, I'll tell you what places I go to so I can narrow it down for you. I frequent king ed pets, big al's (north road), Aqauriums West, Super pet which is awesome for rare stuff (in richmond near the big al's on No. 3 road), perky's pets....that's about it. If you know of any other good stores, please let me know! =)

cdawson said:
I frequent king ed pets, big al's (north road), Aqauriums West

I am actually suprised that King Ed's doesn't have it. Gonna have to bug them the next time I'm there.

I did however get the chance to call Aquariums West. They said they would be happy to bring Amquel in if requested. Just ask for Mike or Kreige. They are the "go to" guys in the store.... 8)

Cheers
Steve

Yeah I've actually got two silvers scats and one mono argentus on order there. They're good for plant info and tropica plants. Big Al's sells tropica but they aren't worth the price there. At Aquariums west they're always completely healthy.

Back
Top Bottom