seachem stability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty simple... Try it if you want. If it works, great. If not, oh well. No sense in everyone fighting about who has the biggest following... And nobody on this site is so important that disagreeing with them on something makes anyone wrong... Period

I suggest everyone stop arguing or the thread will be locked (at minimum). This is pretty childish

Just address the actual data being presented and not the drama.

I like the patent data, it's pretty interesting. It looks like it should work, at least for that particular species. It would be nice to see more test data on the product. I admit I have not done any exhaustive testing on the Cycle product, but it's definitely up for consideration. The testing that I have done is just for information, I pay out of pocket for the materials to do it and don't get any compensation so obviously it's not something I want to dump a lot of my own money into.

As far as the forum posts go on the subject, it really doesn't mean a lot that someone posts how great it is, you can find 10 more threads that say the opposite about the same product. Most of it is conjectural, and often times the person using the product has other underlying issues that are primarily the cause of the issue to begin with. (heavy stocking, high initial nitrogen levels, etc)

The 2nd link has an obvious bias in it against marineland products, insinuating that the rep was trying to sell him the product. And seachem isn't? What we were discussing earlier on was that the scientific papers/journals that the biospira people wrote are readily available and easy to find and read through. The other thing that wasn't mentioned in that thread is that Biospira was eventually turned into a shelf stable form and produced Safestart/Dr Tims.

That thread on stability was interesting though, the first post even outright says that the blend doesn't colonize in the tank, at least some of it doesn't, which is obvious if you read between the lines. If you feel comfortable dosing a cocktail of God-knows what anaerobic/aerobic bacteria in the tank then that's fine, but personally I prefer to know what's in there, and believe that it would make sense to add the bacteria strains that are naturally found in the tank to begin with. It seems like the OP's premise in that thread is that neither of the bacteria additives actually colonize the tank but rather just deal with ammonia while allowing the proper nitrifiers to colonize naturally.

It's pretty simple... Try it if you want. If it works, great. If not, oh well. No sense in everyone fighting about who has the biggest following... And nobody on this site is so important that disagreeing with them on something makes anyone wrong... Period

I suggest everyone stop arguing or the thread will be locked (at minimum). This is pretty childish

Was wondering when you were gonna show up lol

First of all, you need to get of your high horse!
I really don't appreciate the condescention and there are many others that feel the same way.

I don't know what makes you think your advice is any more credible than any other member on this forum. You seem to think you are the expert in everything (judging from what I have read)
This is a discussion forum and I am giving my advice based on many years of experience.
I wasn't aware that making a contribution and helping others is a crime - unless that advice comes from your mouth alone.
You appear to have joined this forum in March 2011, I have been here since June 2005....but whatever.

Anyways, perhaps we should just leave the advice to the so-called "Experts" like yourself - Since you seem to know it all :rolleyes:
i joined in 2010 had tanks since i was 5 im 21 now do the math

funny logic - if we disagree with Eco, we must be wrong.
Dellusional much?

For someone that prides themselves on 'science'
The science of fish-keeping will tell you there are several ways and explanations for many things in this hobby - including how to cycle a tank.

And since you are so adamant that these products are a failure.
Why don't you publish your own journal article (with proof of the matter - including daily test kit information and readings) that say these products don't work.
In the journal article - It should include proof on the following
1) they don't speed up the nitrogen cycle
2) they lead to an unstable biological filter in the long-term.

Then Send it to a reputable, credible and peer-reviewed biology or chemistry scientific journal. I bet there aren't many (if any) published papers disproving these so called products. So that should give an "edge".
Just a thought.
eco does know his stuff. and ill post a article not hard. most people are gonna use it cause they are gulliable

But you saw that they assure that it can be package and store at room temp for a year!

And thats nitrosomonas and nitrobacter!!
Some says they are not the best but over time the best come and establish. But at the beginning of a cycle its useful to do it within 1 to 3 weeks depending on Ph and Temp.

I really go for fishless though!
how about you get in a bottle for a year no food. lets see if you survive. no way you can no way bacteria can

oops, just now read this

Well the only thing I can say here and probably doesn't matter much to anybody but I'll say it anyway!
1. I don't think that you should go by someone's join date to determine how much experience they have with fish keeping. I myself just joined this site recently but belong to other fishkeeeping sites I joined way before this one!
2. I've actually been doing fish keeping regularly for the past 10 years before that I worked for a guy that's had his own independent lfs (not a chain) successfully for 20 years and he and I have been great friends since. I usually get a lot of advice from him.
3. I have 7 tanks soon to be 8 and have had a lot of success and have never used any kind of chemical like seachem, dr. Tim's or nutrafin to cycle ANY of my tanks. My friend with the LFS store doesn't use them either.
4. The way I see it and some people might not agree and will want to use this Seachem stability and that's their choice and I can respect that but I've had 100 % success never using ANY of these products to speed up the cycling, so why would I start now?
5. The way I look at it is if it's not broke don't fix it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom