seachem stability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I Personally don't know much about it, but I'd say use the $$$ to get Seachem Prime. If you looking to establish BB faster, I'd say get seeding material (substrate, ornament, filter media) from a trusted tank. Otherwise ... let nature provide the BB for free.

I think it'll be safer to just get tetra safestart since a lot of people had success with that. i'm not saying that seachem stability is bad, i just don't like taking risks.

I have prime, isn't that just a water conditioner

Yep ... but a highly recommended water condition / de-chlorinator and the only chemical I'd consider adding to my tank.

I do believe there were other threads that mentioned stability and opinions seemed mixed from what I remember. I'm actually anxious to read feedback from those that've used it. I like seachem products.

I don't suggest Stability, the marketing reads well but if you really dig into it you'll find out that it is a lot of hype and the science just isn't there. Use an active sponge filter from angelsplus or tetra safestart.

it worked for me!
I followed the instructions on the bottle. Added a capful everyday for the first 7 days. AND I stocked with fish - 8 white clouds and 6 corydoras. 65 gallon tank.

I used PRIME and STABILITY. Prime as my water conditioner to detoxify my ammonia and to remove the chlorine.
I dont know if it was coincidence, but my ammonia went from 0.5ppm to zero in 3 days. It remained at zero to the completion of the cycle. And I detected nitrate at 10 days.
So it wasn't an instant cycle, but it helped boost the process and led to a faster cycle. More importantly, I didn't do any water changes in the first 10 days and none of my fish died.
I monitored my fish everyday to see if there was stress. But there was no stress, they were eating and swimming all over the tank.
This is a 65 gallon tank! Also within a month, my white clouds had babies in the tank - so obviously they were healthy.

The only reason I tried it because the product was on sale and very cheap.
So I was curious.

There is no hurt in trying it.

i also used it in my tank. i don't know for sure if it helped but seachem is a trusted name in aquaria and it won't break the bank so why not? sometimes i think these things just help us to feel like we're doing something to help cycle the tank or keep the tank in good shape. maybe it's more for our well being. lol

exactly, seachem is a well trusted name!
They gave us "matrix" and "prime"

surely, they KNOW what they are doing.

exactly, seachem is a well trusted name!
They gave us "matrix" and "prime"

surely, they KNOW what they are doing.

That's a big assumption. How about Api Stress Zyme? That's another fail bacteria supplement put out by a trusted name, API is a huge name in aquaria. What about nutrafin/hagen Cycle?

You can't take anything that retailers say at face value, unfortunately they can say just about anything when it comes to selling their products. Look into it, check ingredient labels, and specifically with this, check the science behind the product.

Research is everything.

I dug up an old thread that has a pretty large discussion on this topic. Have a read Stability???

i'm sorry. BUT many of the people that replied to the thread did NOT try it !!!
how can you critique something when you have no proof. You just remain skeptical.
Unless you have actually tried it, your argument is mute. You cannot make a conclusion based on heresay and with no evidence.

I myself was a skeptic, until I tried it. And I support the product because it worked for me.

I have tested Stability myself on completely fresh setups. My results were dubious, they are posted on a different fish forum.

It's not about it working, it's about HOW it works. Heterotrophic bacteria are notorious for building a very unstable biofilter that often crashes if not kept sustained with repeat dosings. That's why it's imperative to use a bacteria supplement that contains the actual autotrophic bacteria that is naturally found in aquaria and not a unsustainable substitute.

jetajockey said:
It's not about it working, it's about HOW it works. Heterotrophic bacteria are notorious for building a very unstable biofilter that often crashes if not kept sustained with repeat dosings. That's why it's imperative to use a bacteria supplement that contains the actual autotrophic bacteria that is naturally found in aquaria and not a unsustainable substitute.

Bingo. Look at the directions on a bottle of Stability. They advise to add it during each water change. Now ask yourself...if it establishes a "stable" bio-filter...why in the world would you need to add more of it every couple weeks? A bit of research on heterotrophic vs true autotrophic nitrifying bacteria gives the explanation. I agree Seachem is a reputable brand, but sometimes you've got to read between the lines and not take anything at face value from any company which has a vested financial interest in whether you believe it works or not.

There are some brands that I believe (and have been proven to) contain the correct types of bacteria like SafeStart and Dr. Tims. That said, results are often hit or miss even on those likely based off things life shelf life, improper handling, etc... The true nitrifyiers are not sustainable long term in the way heterotrophs are, hence why it's predominately heterotrophic bacteria in cycling products....like Seachem Stability.

I wonder if you have to keep using it. Like will your tank crash if you don't use it anymore after you finish the first bottle?

A Big +1 for both eco23 and jetajockey ...they both put it best!

Going back to my original post on this thread, while I do like seachem products, I'm not paying for something potentially catastrophic to my tank, whereas nature will provide the real BB for free.

And yes Helloelliee ... a danger of using bacteria in a bottle is that if you stop replenishing it during tank maintenance (means more $$$) ... the bacteria could crash, has happened to members. And of course, murphy's law will have this happen at the worst time ... say while your away on a trip for a few days.

Real BB doesn't need to be replenished ... they'll multiply on their own. Not much worst in this hobby than having to cycle your tank all over again after you remove some of your dead stock.

I stopped using the product after my tank cycled and have not experienced any instability.

You cannot make a general conclusion that all bacteria in a bottle is unstable.
There is no evidence to support this.
How do you know that tank crashes are solely due to the use of using bacteria in a bottle and nothing else is to blame?

You attribute all responsbility on the use of this product. And yet, everyday in the forums, there are hundreds of threads/posts, on people (with cycled tanks) having trouble with their water parameters and/or sick fish.
I could guarantee that many of these people didn't even use bacteria in a bottle to begin with.

I agree with your argument that its best to avoid these products, however I just find it unfair that you make assumptions when there are many factors that could lead to an unstable tank (overstocking, overfeeding, underfiltration, neglected tank, poor maintenance, forgotten water changes etc...)
These products claim to speed the cycle process and assist the beneficial bacteria - which they do!
So none of the products have falsely labelled their products.

There are many testimonials that reported success with the use of stability. And many claims that it was unsuccessful.
Whatever the case, it's really the individuals prerogative whether or not they choose to use it.

I stopped using the product after my tank cycled and have not experienced any instability.

You cannot make a general conclusion that all bacteria in a bottle is unstable.
There is no evidence to support this.
How do you know that tank crashes are solely due to the use of using bacteria in a bottle and nothing else is to blame?

You attribute all responsbility on the use of this product. And yet, everyday in the forums, there are hundreds of threads/posts, on people (with cycled tanks) having trouble with their water parameters and/or sick fish.
I could guarantee that many of these people didn't even use bacteria in a bottle to begin with.

I agree with your argument that its best to avoid these products, however I just find it unfair that you make assumptions when there are many factors that could lead to an unstable tank (overstocking, overfeeding, underfiltration, neglected tank, poor maintenance, forgotten water changes etc...)
These products claim to speed the cycle process and assist the beneficial bacteria - which they do!
So none of the products have falsely labelled their products.
It just depends on how you define 'speeding' and 'assisting'. Like I said already, the science behind their product is the issue. Some products have good science behind them, like Biospira/TSS/Dr Tim's, which have actual peer reviewed papers explaining everything in minute detail. The others do not, and based on the information they do give, they prove that their product is primarily a marketing gimmick.

Does it really assist or speed your cycle when you are dumping in a bunch of bacteria that isn't even naturally found in aquaria? Not really, it just gives a false impression of a tank being cycled, and is often followed by a biofilter crash because of it. Eventually, the naturally occuring nitrifiers take over at some point, and some people are lucky enough for that to happen before the fish get toxin poisoning. That really has nothing to do with what is in these magical 'cycling' bottles.

Like I've already said, I've done a ton of research in this subject and have even field tested several products, so it's not like I'm just making this up out of the blue. If you spend some time to study up on the science end of the subject I think you'll get where I'm coming from a little better.

There are many testimonials that reported success with the use of stability. And many claims that it was unsuccessful.
Whatever the case, it's really the individuals prerogative whether or not they choose to use it.
Sure it is, but it's also our right in this forum to express our opinions on said product. I really wanted to like Stability, I like prime and a few other seachem products, but honestly, the 'synergistic blend of aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria' approach is like throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks.

In the end our loyalty for said product ... really any product we use comes down to our experiences ... whether it be stability, prime etc.

For my part when I was researching setting up a tank ... I read up on products like stability to cycle my tank faster. Yes I read testimonials ... both pro and con ... read the instructions, it components and then I asked the chemistry teacher (who's also biology savvy) what he though and one of the first things he mentioned (he doesn't have an aquarium) is that such products could have unstable bacteria.

Don't get me wrong, I really wanted fish in my tank ASAP (before I joined AA) and almost bought a bottle. Eventually I decided to let nature do it ... did a fish in cycle .. I saved a few bucks and got the bacteria established within a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom