Seachem Stability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeyost12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Question, I have a 55G tank that has been running a 406 Canister Filter on it. I did a water test tonight and my readings are as follows:

Ammonia - .25
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - between 30-40
PH - 8.0

My tank has been established with gold fish for 4 years until about a month ago when I did switch over to more tropical fish. I keep a heater in the tank, keeping the temperature steady at 78 degrees. Besides the Nitrates creeping up on my last test, my numbers have been overall very consistent for about 1.5 weeks now.
The tank is currently stocked with 8 Giant Danios and 6 Albino Cats. The fish are doing great but I just want to get my numbers more in line before I add my last 3 fish to the tank, which are going to be 3 angel fish.
To help with my nitrates increasing today, I did do a 30% water change this evening and added prime to the tank. I am now thinking of going to the LPS tomorrow and getting a bottle of Stability and adding this for a week...... is that a good idea of something to do? If it is, what should I follow as far as water testing and water changes? should the testing be done daily and no water changes till I get through the week of using stability or should I let my testing dictate my water changes (if my numbers start to increase, do a water change)?

Any help would be very much appreciated

I don't see a reason to add stability. Just do water changes in the tank to keep the nitrate level below 40ppm. Typically, people do a weekly 50% water change and call it good. You can test as often as you want, once weekly is typically enough.

I don't see a reason to add stability. Just do water changes in the tank to keep the nitrate level below 40ppm. Typically, people do a weekly 50% water change and call it good. You can test as often as you want, once weekly is typically enough.

Thank you for the response. My canister filter has only been in the tank for 1.5 weeks and is not established yet with BB which at the time a week ago, I didn't think to keep my old filter running. I was thinking if I add Stability it would allow for BB to grow quicker in the filter..... is that the right train of thought? Or should I just keep checking numbers and let the fish establish the BB through a natural fish in cycle?

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom