SeaChem Stability--a skeptic's question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madasafish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi All,

In the past, on this site, we've come to fairly general consensuses over products that reportedly cycle tanks. We pretty much decided that "Cycle" from Hagen was rubbish, but that BioSpira was a microbial miracle. Now there's a new product on the market...

SeaChem has fairly recently started marketing "Stability" in a smooth-looking white and blue bottle. But does the stuff work?? I'd be interested in hearing any testimonials... I don't have a tank that I could run the test on yet, but I might well try to use the stuff in the future to see whether it really works. If I do, I will let you all know.

In the meanwhile, if anybody else is using Seachem's "Stability", let us know!! Document as best you can the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate (if you can) levels in your tank over a few days/weeks. Let us know if, in your opinion, it works! 100+ Kudos to those who put in the effort.

Of course, simpler testimonials such as "no!" or "yes!" are also welcome, but it'd be nice if you can expand on these.

Best,
Jon

You're in luck then

Ammonia: 0.25
NitrIte: 0
Temp: 80
20 Gallon

Starting dosing today, have a pair of guppy in their. Tank size is 20 Gallons. Added 2 caps full. I'll update tommorow

Day 2

Ammonia - 0.25
NitrItes - 0
NitrAtes - 0

Remmember I checked the water yesterday, and i'll post a Day 3 tommorow.
I might also add more fish today.

Sorry, i was busy so here's the rest of the result

Day 3

Ammonia - 0.25
NitrIte - 0

Day 4

Ammonia - 0.25
NitrIte - 0.10
NirAtes - 0

I'll check the status tonight and will post for Day 5

I used Seachem Stability when I did a fishless cycle on my 39 gallon tank. The cycle was done in 14 days. I can e mail a copy of my cycle log if you are interested in seeing it. IMO I think this stuff works or it would not have cycled this fast. :lol:

I'm not so scientific about this stuff. I've never tested my water. But I will swear by Stability. I think they've done they're research. I've never lost a fish adding it on day 1 and have never had an algae bloom. All I did was follow the instructions. One small bottle will last you forever and a day.

Sure, why not MyDog, post it here. or PM me on a log.

Anyways,

Day 5

Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0.1

Thanks for the results so far, FMZ. 100 Kudos went your way about a minute ago.

Have you done any water changes yet?

So, you're saying that so far... ammonia hasn't risen at all from its initial level, and nitrite has risen slightly and then plateaued? And no, nitrates yet.

So, in other words, the stability has kept the ammonia level consistent so far, but hasn't managed to reduce the level completely to 0.

Insteresting.

Madasafish

So far Ammonia has stayed constant on 0.1 and NirItes is at 0.1
I haven't seen any rise in NitrAtes yet, but remmember these hobby grade test kits are about worthless. I haven't done any water changes since the day I started using Stability.

Anyways,

Day 6

Ammonia - 0.1
NirItes - 0.1
NitrAtes - so far 0

I'll take my water sample to LFS tommorow to see what they register on the NitrAtes levels off my tank. Also the fish don't show any sign of stress at all.

Fishless Cycle Log using Seachem Stability

Ammonia Source = Ammonia hydroxide 50% concentration
Tank = 39 Gallon Freshwater

Day Ammonia ..... .. Nitrite. Nitrate. Stability added. Ammonia added
1..........0 ppm..........0ppm.....0ppm......0......................0
2..........4.................0............0............0......................50 drops
3..........4+...............0............0...........0.......................56
4..........4+...............0............0............20ml.................25
5..........8.................5............5............10.....................25
6..........4+...............5+..........10..........10.....................0
7..........2.................2+..........10+.........10....................10
9..........0..................2+..........20...........10....................20
12........0..................2.............20+.........10...................20
13.........0.................0.5...........20+.........10...................20
14.........0.................0..............20+.........10...................20
15.........0.................0.............5..............10...................20(75%W.C)
16.........0.................0.............5..............10................(13 fish added)

And that is my fishless cycle. I never had any problems adding the full fish load right from the bat and the stability in the tank has been rock steady since. I obtained my ammonia from a drinking water testing lab near by. The next time I will use a 30% concentration. The 50% is probably more than is needed and only served to singe my nose hairs off while working with it. Based on my experience I will always use a fishless cycle as I like being able to add a full load of fish right away. This will be especially handy with semi aggressive and aggressive fish when they can all start together at the same time. (y)

Ok I have been real busy for the past few days, here were my observations

Day 7

Ammonia 0
Nirites - 0.25

Day 8

Ammonia 0
Nitrites - 0.25

Day 9

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0.20

Day 10
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 5

I have added one pair of a Black Molly, and a German Blue Ram in the tank.
I haven't noticed any spikes in ammonia or nitrites yet. For me, the Cycle went faster then MyDog. Could be because he didn't dose first few days ???

I think FMZ is right on why my cycle was a little slower. I didn't dose the first day. In addition I had filled the tank full of plants the first day(MISTAKE!!) :nono: I burnt most of them in the cycle and had to toss them. Next time I will just have the substrate in the tank. Other than that I am happy with the way it went. The biggest plus for me was being able to add a full load of fish when done. I have no patience. :clown:

Back
Top Bottom