Seachem test kits vs. API test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking about switching over to the Seachem test kits (ammonia, nitrites/nitrates, and ph) because not only do they seem more accurate than the API test kit, but they seem much simpler to use; as in there are no test tubes to fill up and rinse out and you don't run the risk of dropping and breaking them. Also, every test tube I have leaks when I shake them and I'm really tired of getting the liquid reagents all over my hands and pants. Also, you don't have to vigorously shake bottles. So I feel switching to the Seachem test kits will be the right move for me. What do you all think?

Also, every test tube I have leaks when I shake them and I'm really tired of getting the liquid reagents all over my hands and pants.

Heh. I've taken to wrapping a paper towel around the tubes when I shake them. :lol:

FWIW, I switched to Tetra test strips, and they seem as accurate to me as the API liquid tests. Haven't tried the Seachem tests, yet.

I was looking at the seachem nitrate test kits and they came with their own reference standard (10ppm I think). There have been questions on API - every so often they seem to do a bad batch and results are way too high/low. Seachem I've never used so have not looked into.

I've just ordered a much more expensive nitrates test kit out of interest to compare with API and JBL. However as long as the test is consistent I'm happy (I just don't expect these fairly cheap tests to be hugely accurate).

Back
Top Bottom