Sealing tube connections?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snailradel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

This is more of a curiosity as I was sitting here talking to my wife about the tank and she said (jokingly) "imagine if the water return tube (from the filter) broke. The filter would just keep pumping 75 gallons of water alllll over the floor". I laughed and said "that would be terrible" and then my brain said "WOAH! That really WOULD be terrible!"

So naturally, just like when you see a spider and suddenly you feel your skin crawling like they're all over you...I got to wondering; how likely is it that the connection between the rubber tube and the plastic return piece (in the tank) could suddenly blow out from the pressure? It's not like the filter would know. So it would just keep doing its job, pumping water all over the floor!

Do people seal their connections to be sure it's not going anywhere? Am I over thinking this?

Like I said, more a curiosity based on a trivial comment. But the more I think about it, the more the idea of it happening scares me!

You are way over thinking this. The connections have to be rated for the pressure. Companies couldn't sell them if the hoses popped off! Haha. But hey, a little duck tape wrapped around them might help you sleep.

Well you'd have the intake set to a certain height so it wouldn't drain ALL the water :p

But I know from experience that the hose have a SWL (safe working load). Meaning they can handle the normal pressures without issue.

They also have a 10-15% buffer incase the pressure grows somehow.

You're floor is safe! ^_^

Back
Top Bottom