Seashells in Fresh water aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a couple of sea shells when we went to Daytona Beach , last weekend. Can I use them in my fresh water tank ? I have heard they would lower PH. Also if I can use them, how do I clean them?

TIA

If you add enough shell, your water pH will raise and get harder. I suggest cleaning them very well--boiling works--and add them to the tank. Since it is only a two shells, I doubt you will see a noticible difference.

For safely before doing that, how large is the tank and what fish are in there--some fish are more sensitive to shell's effects.

Looks like it's a pretty small tank...

"3 gallon fw Eclipse 3 with biowheel
One Male Betta , NIGEL"

I'm a rookie, and hate to give advice that very well might be wrong.

I, personally, wouldn't take the risk. But there are others here who can give you good, solid advice about it...

That's a small tank. I was hoping at least ten gallons. Since it is a small tank and bettas like softer neutral water....I will wait until a betta person pops on. For now--hold off on the shells.

how big is the shell?

Is it snail/hermit shell shape? If it is then i would advise not too. I use to have a ping pong size empty apple snail shell in my betta/guppy tank, after several times finding dead fish trap in it inc betta, i took it out. its a dead trap.

HTH

vega said:
how big is the shell?

Is it snail/hermit shell shape? If it is then i would advise not too. I use to have a ping pong size empty apple snail shell in my betta/guppy tank, after several times finding dead fish trap in it inc betta, i took it out. its a dead trap.

HTH

its pretty small , but why take the risk ...thanks all ! I don't think I want to hurt my precious in any way :)

One other issue with shells is that they lose their pretty colors in fresh water. I put a beautiful pinkish shell in a 29g fw tank a few years ago, and the shell lost its color and turned white over the course of a few months. The surface of the shell appeared to be dissolving off, and if you rubbed the surface of the shell it released a cloud of shell slough into the water. It scared me, but water pH and hardness were not detectably affected, but my guess is it would have been if I had slacked on the water changes! I think your "why take the risk" attitude is a good one in this case.

Now maybe someone could coat shells with epoxy like they do for gravel...

Back
Top Bottom