Seasonal Availibility of Tropical Fishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was in my lfs, SeaLevel and they were telling me about how wintertime here in the US means summertime elsewhere (Asia, I'm assuming?) But they mentioned how "Winter-time is the best time to be in the hobby, it's when we get our most interesting fish."

I just got into fish-keeping in August, so I was wondering, are there any flashy freshwater specimens I have yet to see?
The coup-de-grace of freshwater, available only in winter?
Or is it nothing special...

Any insight appreciated.

Actually wild caught fish do tend to be seasonal (and for good reason, otherwise we'd have numerous species on the red list). Catfish, for example, are generally difficult to breed in captivity. Catfish season runs from around September to November -ish. You're more likely to see a greater variety of synos and plecs and so on in your LFS around that time b/c thats when the wild caught are brought in.

Seasons are only different between North and South hemispheres, not between East and West, so US and Asia run on the same seasons (except that seasons in parts of Asia are obviously wetter and so on depending on the climate). However while we have winter in Europe and North America, South America and Australasia etc. enjoy their summer!

I know one of the stores near me said they won't get certain fish in until the fall/winter months. GBR's are just one example. From what I was told they ship somewhat poorly in the summer. Not sure if they get them from Asia or in the US.

Yes JDogg I've been to World of Fish many a time, infact I'm pretty sure it was you who recommended me to it when I was a newb here on these boards.
Very nice selection of fish, awesome store I love the atmosphere, my only complaint is the ill livestock, it seems as though 2/5s of all the freshwater tanks have sick or dead fish in them.

jbarr said:
Yes JDogg I've been to World of Fish many a time, infact I'm pretty sure it was you who recommended me to it when I was a newb here on these boards.
Very nice selection of fish, awesome store I love the atmosphere, my only complaint is the ill livestock, it seems as though 2/5s of all the freshwater tanks have sick or dead fish in them.
REALLY? i do not remember ever seeing a sick fish there... :?

Back
Top Bottom