Secret to getting rid of Hard Water Stains?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I’ve had my 55 gal for 4 or 5 years now and there was a time where it sat in a shed for about 8 months. I’ve tried lots of things to clear up the glass but nothing has helped. I’ve even taken the tank all the way down and scrubbed it for a long time using Bar Keeper’s Friend and it still won’t go away. In the pics you can see at the top of the tank where is it clear. My water is crystal clear. Using a Fluval 406 canister and also a fluval C4 HoB. You can see the haze in the glass better from different angles and lighting. Any secret tricks to fix this?IMG_3520.jpgIMG_3521.jpg

Try #0000 steel wool. I use it for hard water spots on my vehicle windows. Just test a small area in the corner of your tank first to make sure it isn't scratching the glass. Do a light to medium buffing to start out. Sometimes that's all it takes. You can also get the steel wool wet and scrub it or use it dry. Good luck!!!

I don't think so. I'm not sure what could be in steel wool off hand. Plus, it might take a lot of vigorous scrubbing. I'd say you would have to take the tank down again and scrub it. Might use vinegar with the steel wool.

I live in Texas and I feel your pain. I know this is eventually going to be an issue with my tank as well with as hard as our water is.

I suggest either vinegar or CLR. Or both, back to back. If you can soak it on each side at at a time, all the better. You can put CLR in a spray bottle, spray down an entire side while it lays on that side and leave it for an hour or so, making sure to refresh the spray so it doesn't dry. Just be super vigilant about rinsing the tank well before putting fish back in.

Back
Top Bottom