seeding a filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
If I take an unseeded filter and stick it in an established tank. And then let it run for two weeks. Will that seed it really good?? And then I can transport the whole thing back to the un cycled tank to dramatically increase cycling time? ??

tarpon said:
If I take an unseeded filter and stick it in an established tank. And then let it run for two weeks. Will that seed it really good?? And then I can transport the whole thing back to the un cycled tank to dramatically increase cycling time? ??

It will definitely help it !

Seeding a Filter

Good morning tarp...

It's been some time since I've cycled a tank, but it should still take a minimum of 30 days to complete. Using media from an established tank will ensure there's enough bacteria to consume the the waste produced by the fish. But, I don't believe you can nor do you want to hurry the process. I'm "old school", so there may be a way to do the cycle thing faster.

I've always set the tank up with the substrate, gear and plants and let it all run for a month and then added some small fish. But, I always gave the tank the full month to cycle.

B

I knoww but I was just wondering if that would seed the filter? To just let it run In the established tank?

Yep, should help nicely. But don't just assume it's fully cycled. You'll still want to do a fishless cycle with something like pure ammonia to test it. The seeded filter should reduce the overall cycling time but it's best to check before adding fish.

That's pretty much the only way I do things. I've only cycled one tank. The rest have been seeded from others. Before running most of my tanks on sponges, I would run multiple filters on each tank. If I set up a new one, I'd just move the filter over and add fish. You still wanna test and all, but as long as you don't stock too much (no more than what was in the tank you seeded the filter with), you'll be fine IME

Back
Top Bottom