Seeding new tank advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brett6977

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am upgrading from a 20 gallon tank to a 55 gallon tank and am just wondering what is the best way to seed my new tank? So far I have put in a used filter cartridge, some of the gravel from the old tank and a few of the decorations. I have also bought a "tank stabilizer" and have been applying that as the directions propose. Is this a good start? How long should I wait until I transfer fish? Do the tank stabilizers work?

I've never heard of a tank stablizer before. What's the actual name so I can google it?

If it were me, I'd

a) hang the existing filter beside the new filter on the larger tank and let it run for a few weeks side-by-side or

b) take all the filter media from the existing filter and cram it into the new filter, alongside some new filter media.

Both options above mean you can move your fish over immediately.

The stabilizer apparently starts the beneficial bacteria that takes care of the ammonia and nitrites. From what I've read about it you can change the fish as soon as you treat the water with it and keep op the dosage for a week...

If you're just upgrading from one tank to another tank, you don't need stabilizer. You've already got a cycled filter, right?

If your not planning on running the 20gal i would move all substrate, decor and filter to the 55gal along with the 20gal aquarium water.

Exactly, move everything, including fish, over and voila, you're cycled. Let the tank settle in before you add any new fish as your filter will already be adjusted for the existing bioload you have.

Really? Everything I have read and been told was that I should wait weeks to transfer the fish...

I guess it makes sense though... My tank had all the bacteria it needs right now to break down the ammonia so if I transfer everything there shouldn't be a problem...

Just do it. I've done so many upgrades this way, it's crazy and I've never even gone into a mini-cycle.

Just do it. I've done so many upgrades this way, it's crazy and I've never even gone into a mini-cycle.

Lynda,

Could you tell us, in what order you did it ? Was thinking of doing the same BUT wanted to put a different substrate in a larger tank. Would following the same procedure, but wrapping up the current stuff to sit in the bottom of a new tank for bacteria work?

Last edited:
For upgrading or just swapping from an established existing tank, the basics are:

Either put new substrate into new tank or use existing substrate. I've done it both ways, both with equal success.

Arrange driftwood, plants, etc.

Transfer 1/2 existing tank water into new tank. Fill remainder with new water, use Prime to dechlorinate. (Up until this time, I keep the existing filter running on the existing tank so that the media stays wet.... when I begin the water transfer, I move the entire filter if reusing the filter, or just the filter media, if using a new filter).

Start up the filter and move all the fish over.

I have also set up a new tank where an existing tank is. If that's the case, I break down the existing tank entirely, put the fish and filter media in buckets and use all new water to fill the new tank.

The result is always 100% cycled tank, no mini-cycle.

Back
Top Bottom