Seeking exotic fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I don't have any experience so maybe it is very possible, I'm just doing this based off of the stories I've read when looking into getting them.

A few more random fish more on the oddball side: South American bumblebee catfish (not one of the brackish bumblebees), African leaf fish, African butterfly fish (more of a sensitive fish), and if kept with smaller fish i think anchor cats are an interesting looking fish, but they are smaller and more nocturnal

Another suggestion would be Congo tetras. I know tetras aren't exactly uncommon but again not many people have them and they are just drop dead gorgeous fish. They get some gnarly teeth too when they are full grown

Great, I plan on setting up a natural, well planted tank with dwarf puffers (Pea puffers), are there any fish that are compatible with this species?

Wow, the honey cats, archer cats, and congo tetras are all awesome….this will be a hard decision

Dwarf puffers are very slow and they need to be fed live food but you can train them on frozen food. I suggest getting some MTS (Malaysian trumpet snails). Adding tank mates for your puffer isn't suggested because they will nip on anything moving. You can't have fast fish because the puffers won't have a chance to get food during feeding time. I know they're not fish but have you checked out dwarf crawfish?

Honeycomb catfish are so freaking cool and not too many people have them

As a honeycomb owner myself, I can't recommend them to others... They look neat, but you never see them. I've tried all kinds of different things to entice it out of it's hidey hole, but it only swims out in the open once every 6 months... Generally I consider a "WOW" factor fish as one you actually get to see ;)

I have housed a few crawfish from time to time in tanks, I think I'll just do a species only dwarf puffer tank, how many do you think is reasonable to house in a 20 gallon tank?

I would do 2 males and 4-6 females depending on how heavily planted or how many hiding spots you can give them.

Back
Top Bottom