Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2003, 07:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Chrismac
Yes, and let me know,
I do know that they will fit the fixture forsure.

The thing I'm really confused about is color temp I can ony find them in 2700 - 3000 kelvins will that work? not sure
I am really confused if its just the color it produces or if it will effect plant growth.
Chris

Old 03-14-2003, 11:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I bought a bulb today, 19 watts, 75 watt output. Looks good, try and get some pics if the cam works. Ill see if it works too!

Old 03-14-2003, 11:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well it doesnt fit and I think if it did it puts out way too much heat. So I am gonna build a hood, the one I have now has the thing to screw a light in, it has two outlets, Is 38 watts too much for a 5.5 tank? I could always get a lower wattage bulb.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:55 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Chrismac
Bummer.

What was the brand?
perhaps we should look into any hazards they may cause before trying.
Chris.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:30 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, its a great bulb, Im gonna get another one and put it on the other side of the outlet with this one. I am gonna have someone build me a canopy, right now the prices are outrageous, I can get this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3297 but I dont think it has enough hood space... I contacted him about the height from the top of the aquarium, havent gotten an answer. Ill keep posting, its incandescent for now, can you grow plants under incandescent?
Old 03-15-2003, 10:11 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Check your Home Depot for Commercial Electric part # 772-429. It's a screw in PC that is rated 6500k.
Logan J
Old 03-15-2003, 10:28 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, ive got my hood figured out though. I am going to get another bulb like what I bought and put it into the other side of the fixture when I get the new hood, may be a few weeks O well, I will have to live with this incandescent crap... Do you think a spiral bulb will get to hot about 1/4 of an inch from the metal relector, I could use it if so.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I built my hood today, pictures in the DIY and album, I have two 19 watt bulbs running in it. Both the spiral self ballast kind, they look suprisingly good on the tank. I like the bright look, I think the plants will do real well, I just made a C02 unit type thing, I dont know if it will work though
Old 03-23-2003, 12:24 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is a picture of the selfballast bulbs in the tank, only one reflector though. They produce a lot of heat, so I am going to have to get a timer for my heater. My tank was at about 80 degrees with the heater and lights. We may be in trouble. I think I am going to get a fan for it.

I really like the light color, nice and bright.

Tags
bala, bulb, bulbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com