Self Balast Bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrismac

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all Got a Lighting question.
i was at the hardware store the other day and saw these bulbs that had a balast built in, they are Floresent but you turn them into a normal incondesent fixture,
I attached a picture of them.(just ignor the big round one i'm inquiring about the three smaller ones above it) They come in many different wattages etc,
Are they good to use on an incondesent tank fixture?
I don't want to get em and mess up the fixture lol,
Anyone ever use them and what did you think of them?
Chris.

I use them in my house, they last forever, but never used them in a hood, sorry.

They are a bit bigger than a regular bulb, would they even fit an incandescent hood?

Commercial Electric (Home Depot) makes some small ones that will easily fit in an incandescent hood. I use them in ceiling fan fixtures in place of the little pointy bulbs that blow every other time you turn on the light. One question is what kind of tank you have. These bulbs are usually either a cool white or a warm white color. You may not like the way it looks...just have to try it.
Logan J

I have 6 tanks, ranging from 72 US gallons - 3 gallons

I was thinking if using them in a 10 gallon incondesent hood but not sure if they would be okay for plants? I don't have any plants in that tank yet just trying to find out if they are suited for plants or not,
I do know the energy efficient lamps have a higher light output than a strait tube
I'm not sure if these bulbs :?:
Cool white, and warm white are okay for most aquarium plants?
Any sugestions?
Thanks Guys.
Chris
PS i would also be adding Mopani it give the water a nice brown tint.

Chris,

You can find all sorts of conflicting info. about light spectrum with plants. IMO, it's more intensity than spectrum that's important. Go ahead and give it a shot, I think they'll work.

You can get the Commercial Electric brand bulbs at Home Depot in 6500k. I think they are labeled "daylight" bulbs. They give a nice white light with just a hint of blue...if you prefer that look in the tank.
Logan J

I think I will give them a shot, and see what happens. I'm not too concerned about the color they produce as I said before adding Mopani wood tints the water which seems to make the light look dim.
Thanks guys I'll keep you all posted when I get the chance to try this.
Chris.

Went to the APPMA show in Atlanta today. Coralife has screw in PC bulbs available in 5500k and 50/50 (10000k/actinic). I think they were 13w...pretty neat. Not sure how availability is...believe they are fairly new.
Logan J

Can I do this too? I have a 5.5 with an incandescant hood. Could I put a Flourescent bulb, does the incandescent pact refer to the bulb or the balast that runs the bulb? Can I put plants under my incandescent, like some extra Anacharis I have in my toad tank?

Yes, and let me know,
I do know that they will fit the fixture forsure.

The thing I'm really confused about is color temp I can ony find them in 2700 - 3000 kelvins will that work? not sure
I am really confused if its just the color it produces or if it will effect plant growth.
Chris

I bought a bulb today, 19 watts, 75 watt output. Looks good, try and get some pics if the cam works. Ill see if it works too!

Well it doesnt fit and I think if it did it puts out way too much heat. So I am gonna build a hood, the one I have now has the thing to screw a light in, it has two outlets, Is 38 watts too much for a 5.5 tank? I could always get a lower wattage bulb.

Bummer.
:?
What was the brand?
perhaps we should look into any hazards they may cause before trying.
Chris.

Well, its a great bulb, Im gonna get another one and put it on the other side of the outlet with this one. I am gonna have someone build me a canopy, right now the prices are outrageous, I can get this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3406022259&category=3297 but I dont think it has enough hood space... I contacted him about the height from the top of the aquarium, havent gotten an answer. Ill keep posting, its incandescent for now, can you grow plants under incandescent?

Check your Home Depot for Commercial Electric part # 772-429. It's a screw in PC that is rated 6500k.
Logan J

Thanks, ive got my hood figured out though. I am going to get another bulb like what I bought and put it into the other side of the fixture when I get the new hood, may be a few weeks :( O well, I will have to live with this incandescent crap... Do you think a spiral bulb will get to hot about 1/4 of an inch from the metal relector, I could use it if so.

I built my hood today, pictures in the DIY and album, I have two 19 watt bulbs running in it. Both the spiral self ballast kind, they look suprisingly good on the tank. I like the bright look, I think the plants will do real well, I just made a C02 unit type thing, I dont know if it will work though

Here is a picture of the selfballast bulbs in the tank, only one reflector though. They produce a lot of heat, so I am going to have to get a timer for my heater. My tank was at about 80 degrees with the heater and lights. We may be in trouble. I think I am going to get a fan for it.

I really like the light color, nice and bright.

Back
Top Bottom