Self feeding fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was originally planning to get the people from a TV show called "tanked" to create the aquarium for me, I can't share the photo because the forum doesn't allow it. So Imma scrap this and change it to something different

And @nils no im not trolling im actually looking for advice, about the money, when you start with nothing it motivates you. My father came to Canada with $1.39 spare change. He is now the founder of a multi million landscaping business. Why do you think it's the Indians who are so rich? They experienced having lived with nothing so they respect everything. But back on topic, thanks for the advice everyone

But no I have not done any research what's or ever, I just want to lay pick out some nice fish then I would search up the requirements for them then build the custom tank around them focusing on what theme makes them look good
Sent from iPad using tapatalk

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

What part of the tropics is your dad from? If we know the region, we could help get a basic stocking list for the tank. I posted some links for you to read up on so you have some knowledge on what you are getting yourself into

Sent via echolocation

Guyana, it's near Brazil

Sent from my E2306 using Tapatalk

Ok so what kind of fish have you come up with that you would like to put in? Big fish or some smaller fish? You could do lots of things in a 5,000 gallon. Pretty much anything to be honest. Are you interested in color fish, aggressive fish, peaceful fish or just any fish lol. Puffers would be hard to do because most require feeding where you hold the food in by tweezers or by your hand or something. So probably not the best option. It would be cool to do piranhas.
I think we have decided on the fact that you can't really do a self sustaining tank. Are you going to have someone come in and take care of it for you? Did you research the nitrogen cycle?
Please let us know what you have found out so far.
P.S: I wasn't trying to be rude in the previous post, it's just that if you were us it would seem like a prank lol. We are very glad to be helping you :) I was just grumpy, tired and I guess you don't mess people when they're in that condition lol. Sorry :D

@nils it's ok, no one likes trolls
I know the nitrogen cycle, im going to hire a maintenance crew that comes in every week to clean the tank but about feeding it depends on the fish, how often they need to be fed, what type of food etc. as for the fish themselves I would like to have various types, a few big ones, decent amount of small ones. Also if it's possible to add other species as well like shrimp.

some fish I would like are bala Sharks (will be moved once they get bigger), plecos (zebra, gold nugget, blue phantom), rummy nose tetra, discus, cory cat fish, glass fish, red cherry shrimp. (Are these compatible? I did some research but just double checking) any other fish ideas that would be compatible would be nice, especially something big and bright coloured to make up for the lack of an angelfish

As well im thinking of adding tiger blood snails and freshwater clams, how would I feed these?

I want it to be peaceful so the pirhana is a no, actually Guyana is full of trenches filled with water, there is one in front of my old house that if you stick your you will get it bitten by one, my father has a scar on his leg from when he fell in and got a bite mark from the pirhana, 2" wide and .5" deep

I think you are planning to spend a lot of money on this set up and the maintenance, however, since you were originally worried about having time to feed the fish, how will you ever enjoy your fish tank? In one of the earlier posts someone asked if you had checked with an engineer to make sure your house is able to hold the weight of a 5000 gallon tank. That is something that would keep me up at night.

You know, this thread got off to a rocky start. But i like the reason for getting this tank.

Lets start here before we move on to make plans for the tank. Where is your father from and does he identify more with salt water or fresh? Was he a fisher? Where is he from? What exactly is his connection with fish?

You know, this thread got off to a rocky start. But i like the reason for getting this tank.

Lets start here before we move on to make plans for the tank. Where is your father from and does he identify more with salt water or fresh? Was he a fisher? Where is he from? What exactly is his connection with fish?

Guyana, freshwater, no, he used to own a fish tank made for him when he was little made for him by his neighbour (professional, don't worry) but during the flood in Guyana years back the tank broke and the the fish got carried away with the water. Read the 24th comment for some things im looking for

The discus youre looking at would need to be full grown adults. They could potentially be fed every other day or so. Just keep in mind that they need pristine water and also theres another big problem in that finding enough adult discus will be very difficult.

I would also say that bala sharks are very poor tank mates for discus.

I was thinking since it's gonna be a big tank, you could put in arapaima since they are from Guyana, but since you want a peaceful community, that's out the window. And discus will be tough as they really can't go more than a day or two without food. I was thinking for a community tank, you could have a giant shoal of Like 50 cories, since they are native to Guyana. What fish does your father like? Like what fish were in his custom built tank?

Sent via echolocation

If you have this type of tank, you could get someone to raise the fish up for you to full size. Many people have the space in their fish rooms or commercial facilities to accomodate special requests.

Do you have a person available in the household who could learn how to feed and care for the fish, a caretaker say.

You could do a very beautiful wall tank and the people who design these things would have to have building permits and engineering to make sure the structural integrity would be maintained to keep you safe.

Creating an amazing tank for your dad sounds very special. You might even have some fun doing it. Hobbies are good for you. It could be something you could possibly enjoy WITH your dad. Have you taken him to an amazing Aquarium, public or private, if possible? That would be nice.

I do not mean to be trite, but have you considered a smaller tank could bring him enjoyment too. Can he help in the care of a smaller type tank? Anywhere from a couple hundred gallons to a "personal" size tank. A smaller set up may be more fun for him as he can interact with the fish, like a Betta or really beautiful fancy Goldfish. Some times much money isn't needed for happiness.

All that said, if it is a huge tank you really want then I am sure we can help you come up with a good stocking combination and some of everyones "Dream tanks".

I think Discus (They have all the amazing colors and patterns) and Cardinal Tetras are the top of the list for amazing to see, though you would need to have an auto water change system and some one who knows what they are doing and to feed, to help you.

Back
Top Bottom