Self sustaining tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a plants in my tank fully grown and can I just take those and use them

Yeah you can stick them in, but you probably want to carpet your tank and stuff like that. Which take a lot if time. It really has to be HEAVILY planted.

Also look at the edit I posted in my other post, make sure you dirt it properly. And fertilize the method you want.

I apologize if I came off like a jerk. I just do not think it is possible without future problems arising. If you want a system that is low maintenance I have read a lot of good things about the aquaripure systems. Supposedly people can go months without water changes using those systems, but again, that does not fit your initial proposed scenario.

I am opinionated and share my views on things I know something about. I am a newb as well in general, but my previous input was based on my knowledge of science and natural habitat. I am still learning aquarium specific knowledge.

I apologize if I came off like a jerk. I just do not think it is possible without future problems arising. If you want a system that is low maintenance I have read a lot of good things about the aquaripure systems. Supposedly people can go months without water changes using those systems, but again, that does not fit your initial proposed scenario.

I am opinionated and share my views on things I know something about. I am a newb as well in general, but my previous input was based on my knowledge of science and natural habitat.

You don't sound like a jerk at all, this is just a very unknown part if fish keeping most people are baffled at the thought of no filter. But of course like all tanks bigger is always easier and "Better". If he does this correctly he can do it, you can't just stick plants in and throw in fish and expect it to work.

I am opinionated and share my views on things I know something about. I am a newb as well in general, but my previous input was based on my knowledge of science and natural habitat. I am still learning aquarium specific knowledge.

Dude we all have opinions and its good to voice them

Here is a thread on the topic with some useful information: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/self-sustaining-tank-setup-234685.html

Something along the lines of such a habitat is relatively possible, although it requires extremely specific circumstances, flora, and fauna.

My comments in this thread were specifically towards the proposed scenario of the op. The examples outlined in that thread linked above suggest the use of some type of filtration or other powered device. Jetajockey explains it pretty well and covers some of the issues that could arise over time.

For example here is my tank.

I have so many plants I actually am putting nitrates IN to the tank to help them grow cause the fish alone don't produce enough.

I do weekly changes just to stop algae and stuff like that.

My filter is basically just taking out debris.

I do not vacuum at all waste just decomposes to dirt.

Attachments

• image-2831925395.jpg
    image-2831925395.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 82
My comments in this thread were specifically towards the proposed scenario of the op. The examples outlined in that thread linked above suggest the use of some type of filtration or other powered device. Jetajockey explains it pretty well and covers some of the issues that could arise over time.

Well we won't know if it works 100% till he does it.

I'm for it, your against it.

You don't sound like a jerk at all, this is just a very unknown part if fish keeping most people are baffled at the thought of no filter. But of course like all tanks bigger is always easier and "Better". If he does this correctly he can do it, you can't just stick plants in and throw in fish and expect it to work.

I definitely will do research a lot

Well we won't know if it works 100% till he does it.

I'm for it, your against it.

I am not against the concept, just have the opinion that it will not work in a 15 gallon tank without the use of some type of powered equipment. I could be wrong. Surely would not be the first time.

I am not against the concept, just have the opinion that it will not work in a 15 gallon tank without the use of some type of powered equipment. I could be wrong. Surely would not be the first time.

Well the will have to be some current. Making a small cages propeller wouldn't be too hard at all.

Ah, I meant the link for the OP so he could see both the possibility of such scenario ("self-sustaining tank") as well as the degree of difficulty it may entail.

For example here is my tank.

I have so many plants I actually am putting nitrates IN to the tank to help them grow cause the fish alone don't produce enough.

I do weekly changes just to stop algae and stuff like that.

My filter is basically just taking out debris.

I do not vacuum at all waste just decomposes to dirt.

Curiosity!! How do you know or test for your nitrates being low. Sounds like a weird question, but since there is suppose to be only a trace amount, is it when there is none .0? Thanks!

Well you use a nitrate test kit and phosphate test kit, you try to keep it at 10-20 ppm of nitrate and .5-1 ppm of phosphate.

Nitrate is not too dangerous in small amounts. If your close to 40 then it's getting dangerous.

In the 60's when I started in this hobby, the self-sustaining or "balanced" aquarium was thought to be the way to go. LOTS of dead fish, stinking water, and better science taught us better. Nature does a wonderful water change every time mother earth gives us rain. We just can't duplicate the intricacies of nature in our small tanks. Plants will not take out all the nitrates or other trace toxins that build up. Sorry.

Curiosity!! How do you know or test for your nitrates being low. Sounds like a weird question, but since there is suppose to be only a trace amount, is it when there is none .0? Thanks!

I think you are thinking of nitrite maybe? You shouldn't see any nitrite in your tank.
Nitrate usually builds up until water change.

In the 60's when I started in this hobby, the self-sustaining or "balanced" aquarium was thought to be the way to go. LOTS of dead fish, stinking water, and better science taught us better. Nature does a wonderful water change every time mother earth gives us rain. We just can't duplicate the intricacies of nature in our small tanks. Plants will not take out all the nitrates or other trace toxins that build up. Sorry.

Never said they would. I did however say you can get away with a monthly water change.

Could this work because I want to experiment 15g. I don't want to use any tech at all or food or water change and see if they survive on their own

First I put in a lot of plants so that those will create all of the necessary oxygen
Next I add mystery snails to clean
Next I put in about 30 ghost shrimp and they clean the gravel and eat algae and snails for food
Next they reproduce and have a whole bunch of babies
Next I add in guppies for good they have plants and shrimp for protein
Finally the guppies reproduce and the fry can hide under the banana plants near the floor or get eaten as protein

So I wouldn't need to use filter since shrimp and snails clean and no food since they all eat eachother

No definitely not, in a 15 gallon tank no way. Without a filter no way. Without cleaning the waste out of it, no way. Just no. It maybe and thats a big maybe can be done in some way but i wouldnt know where to start. Are you really that lazy lol? I dont mean to be rude but your missing some fundermentals of a healthy fish tank.

No definitely not, in a 15 gallon tank no way. Without a filter no way. Without cleaning the waste out of it, no way. Just no. Are you really that lazy lol? I dont mean to be rude but your missing some fundermentals of a healthy fish tank.

Most planted tank owners don't clean waste at all, just change the water.

This includes my self and I'm 7 months strong.

Back
Top Bottom