Self-Sustaining Tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
low maintenance is easy :)
then the definition of 'low maitenance'

some people it's a few minutes a day, some it's water changes every few months

for myself, 'no water changes', ... got that solved already for an indefinite system that will also ensure no nutrient deficiencies

one bug, but working on that :), ... as well as open to any input out there

may have solved my DSB / root problem :)

now i am curious about non-rooting plants and all algae types out there.

freshwater only :)

for root types it's classfied as rhizoids (grows fine hairs that attach to objects) instead of any intensive root system

mosses, lichens, we're familiar with these :)

marine systems have their macro-algae, ... they can't be the only one, ... what is there for freshwater.

It just occured to me that a DSB might actually be a pretty bad idea for a self-contained ecosystem. What happens to your nitrogenous waste? It gets turned into nitrate then nitrogen gas. Then what? It off-gases, effectively permanently removing itself from your system. It needs to be replaced.

I really don't think that depending on cyanobacteria is a good idea for a number of reasons. It's quite ugly, makes the tank smell bad, and I believe it's toxic to some degree, so the number of fish/critters that eat it is pretty limited.

not a sealed self-sustaining tank

not all cyanobacteria is toxic
not all cyanobacteria does that slimy covering

some form symbiotic relationships with various plants

the first i heard of was azolla, found out that cyano has a nervtoxin, so i started searching again, ... species of hornwort (not sure what aquatic species, or if these are toxic as well)

i'm aware of problems with a DSB converting nutrients into gas forms that would be lost permanently, ... the most obvious is nitrogen, ... and as it's the most significant, it's a pretty big concern, you are absolutly right, a DSB does create that problem

been looking at alternative cyano sources that aren't such an eye-sore, hopefully sources that won't be visible :)

i don't know how much i would need as the plants will also be trying to use ammonium & nitrates, ... so i don't know how much is left, ... regardless even a fraction of a percent lost is still lost, ... and needs a way to get it back

one person on another forum commented he had cyano in his tank, he ignored it, it reached a peak level, ... with plants it died back some, still had it, ... i won't take this as gospel, but it sounds like cyano will only grow as much as is needed, ... other sources i've come across for "causes of cyano" sounds like they agree this would be the case, but dono, i'm not going to throw random cyano strains in their, i want to know exactly what is going in.

Back
Top Bottom