Self Sustaining Tank Setup!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With so many fish keepers feeding generously, we don't see the predators doing as much hunting as they might be doing in a natural environment. That is how populations regulate themselves.

It might be a series of ups and downs on the number of species you have in there based on the available food levels. Less so if you are supplementing their food source.

This subject is quite interesting, in so much as there is such an artificially created "natural" environment we make for our aquariums. Even when we mimic the fish/creatures natural environment, I doubt for the most part, most who do this are very accurate.

Interesting topic is creating further questions for me!

Speaking from experience, Scarlet Badis do not eat RCS or the babies, I actually sell RCS I breed in a tank with Scarlets. I've never seen them eat young shrimp or adults, some of my RCS adults are bigger than the Badis. In a tank that's going to be really overgrown, if there is even a slight chance the Scarlet Badis are going to prey on the young, they will more and likely be very elusive till of a safe size, I honestly think this part will not work.
It may not but if I notice the scarlets seem hungry I can supplement feeding. This idea would be EXTREMELY cool with a wild species of betta.
Hunger is a great motivator, it's hard to say what'd happen, I guess we might find out soon enough, though!
lol we will see. I am thinking about going ahead with the early stages (removing unwanted species, wheening the tank off the filter, etc)
With so many fish keepers feeding generously, we don't see the predators doing as much hunting as they might be doing in a natural environment. That is how populations regulate themselves.

It might be a series of ups and downs on the number of species you have in there based on the available food levels. Less so if you are supplementing their food source.

This subject is quite interesting, in so much as there is such an artificially created "natural" environment we make for our aquariums. Even when we mimic the fish/creatures natural environment, I doubt for the most part, most who do this are very accurate.

I agree. I would like to see just how to do a true "natural" setup! Also seeing the fish act more natural in terms of hunting and such should prove very interesting!

Autumnsky said:

The wheels in my head are turning. I do like the natural food chain thing.

It can be done, but it is going to take a seriously thought out balancing act. Especially on the predator end, because you want to have enough food for them, but you don't want them to eat faster than the food is produced.

An algae/detritivore like scuds would be a good food, along with the myriad of other bugs found in nature. They would need to have a safe haven, like a refugium of sorts, to keep from having the population decimated. However they'd also have to be able to get into the tank enough to keep the predators happy. I think an algae scrubber type setup would work great for this.

It can be done, but it is going to take a seriously thought out balancing act. Especially on the predator end, because you want to have enough food for them, but you don't want them to eat faster than the food is produced.

An algae/detritivore like scuds would be a good food, along with the myriad of other bugs found in nature. They would need to have a safe haven, like a refugium of sorts, to keep from having the population decimated. However they'd also have to be able to get into the tank enough to keep the predators happy. I think an algae scrubber type setup would work great for this.
I am not sure what scuds are........

GF you may want to google Riparium set-ups, somewhat similar to what B. Bradbury is doing with his tanks. I think as AC pointed out, trying to do this on a smaller scale is going to require that the tank be seriously understocked, you might for example have to have only a single fish, rather than six, which is a fairly significant number to have to provide enough shrimplets for. Scuds are a definite possibility, if as Jeta pointed out, you can get a established breeding population that will maintain itself and has a safe haven away from predators. That may involve something as simple as a very densly planted area that the fish can find all the prey in. or a area with some sort of natural barrier the fish can't get through. Right now my 30gal paludarium is running under a similar situation, but the scud/invertebrate population is supporting only a single swamp darter.

Scuds are amphipods of the suborder Gammaridae, and are often referred to as gammarus or freshwater shrimp as well, regardless of the actual genus they belong to. They are common, so I'd bet ya've see 'em in pond or creeks if ya have ever messed sround in a creek or along a lake or pond shore. Here's a pic: Google Image Result for http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/freshwater-shrimp.jpg

WYite
Oh ok but how do I get them? I cannot collect from a creek. My mom will kill me. She already isnt real fond of this.....
GF you may want to google Riparium set-ups, somewhat similar to what B. Bradbury is doing with his tanks. I think as AC pointed out, trying to do this on a smaller scale is going to require that the tank be seriously understocked, you might for example have to have only a single fish, rather than six, which is a fairly significant number to have to provide enough shrimplets for. Scuds are a definite possibility, if as Jeta pointed out, you can get a established breeding population that will maintain itself and has a safe haven away from predators. That may involve something as simple as a very densly planted area that the fish can find all the prey in. or a area with some sort of natural barrier the fish can't get through. Right now my 30gal paludarium is running under a similar situation, but the scud/invertebrate population is supporting only a single swamp darter.
Ok I gotchya. Do scarlets badis really eat that much you think?

Oh ok but how do I get them? I cannot collect from a creek. My mom will kill me. She already isnt real fond of this.....

From a creek, LOL. Seriously, try Sachs Systems Aquaculture (Fresh Water Invertebrates at Sachs Systems Aquaculture). I think ya could probly google 'em and get 'em from somewhere else.

Ok I gotchya. Do scarlets badis really eat that much you think?

They eat a surprising amount considering their size, IME.

WYite

Fish spend much of their day grazing so they could decimate a population easily if left unchecked. When the time comes to stock predators only add one or two and see how the population fares over a few weeks.

From a creek, LOL. Seriously, try Sachs Systems Aquaculture (Fresh Water Invertebrates at Sachs Systems Aquaculture). I think ya could probly google 'em and get 'em from somewhere else.

They eat a surprising amount considering their size, IME.
ok thanks
WYite

Fish spend much of their day grazing so they could decimate a population easily if left unchecked. When the time comes to stock predators only add one or two and see how the population fares over a few weeks.
That makes sense. I only have 2 right now anyway.

Back
Top Bottom