Sell me on some livebearers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stryke

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've currently got a heavily planted fine sand based aquarium which I'm looking to finish off with either some Platys, Mollys or Guppys.

At the moment I've got;

Two Honey Dwarf Gourami
Nine Neon Tetras
Five Corys
Three Amano/Japonica Shrimp
One Mega Amano Shrimp, the lone survivor from an tank that didn't go so well, he's awesome though and about three to four times the size of the others.
Two Zebra Nerite Snails.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Have you thought about swordtails? I have lyre tail swordtails, which IMO, are gorgeous. What size tank do you have? I would say the minimum for swordtails and mollies to be 20 gallons. Here's a pic of one of mine.

Attachments

• DSCF1415.jpg
    DSCF1415.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 86
Swordtails and mollies need a 20 long at least so they have enough horizontal swimming room but you wouldn't be able to keep more than 4

I would say endler live bearers by far are some of the most beautiful live bearers out there and they are tiny so you could keep more.

It depends on the OP's tank size. If they have a big enough tank, a few colorful swordtails or platies could make a wonderful final addition, despite their size. :)

I totally think endlers would be a great idea. Perfect for aquariums 5 gallons and up.

It's hard to recommend without a tank size but I love my platys. They add a real nice energy to the tank. They do great with my neons and actually spend a lot of time hanging out with my Sunset gourami.

If space is a concern then I agree with the endlers idea. They are fantastic looking little fish!

Annoyingly I don't think I've ever seen endler live bearers in either of my two local aquarium shops so while they'd be perfect they're out.

It's a 60 litre tank so I'd figure Swordtails would want more space I'd guess.

No love for guppys then?

Stryke said:
Annoyingly I don't think I've ever seen endler live bearers in either of my two local aquarium shops so while they'd be perfect they're out.

It's a 60 litre tank so I'd figure Swordtails would want more space I'd guess.

No love for guppys then?

Just recently, the petsmarts around me & neighboring counties in NC, they have been getting in the Endlers Livebearers.. Same color but they say Endlers Guppies, idk the difference.. But supposedly there isn't really much of one. :p I really like the look of them. Getting them for my 10 gal planted.

Endlers live bearers and endler guppies are to me the same. But it could be a cross breed of endler and guppy. I'm sure someone will verify that

Chronos313 said:
Endlers live bearers and endler guppies are to me the same. But it could be a cross breed of endler and guppy. I'm sure someone will verify that

Whether they are crossbred or not I quite enjoy the look of the Endlers..

I like the guppys!! I'm putting a few in my ten gallon!! The males are beautiful! My lfs sells some really fancy ones that aren't at petsmart but that is where I just got my blue female!! I would just stick with one sex or the other though or you will end up with a ton of them;)

Guppies all the way! Gorgeous fish that come in every color and pattern under the sun and are super friendly.

Thanks everybody picked up two male flame guppys and four females yesterday and they look fantastic in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom