Selling fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdklovesfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently discovered that people on eBay will buy platy fry and pay for shipping. So I'm thinking about trying my hand at selling and then shipping some of my dozens of fry. But I have questions.
1: anything live I have had ordered came with plant clippings. Is this for food purposes or to make them feel safer? I don't have live plants so could I put in some pieces of plastic plants and some food and achieve the same effect?
2: it's winter. How do I keep the water warm?
3: do I take the box up to the counter at the post office and inform them that there are live fish in the package?
Anything else I missed that I would need to know. Thanks guys!!!

Have you tried selling locally on Craigslist? No hassle of shipping then. I know nothing about shipping fish. I have only ever ordered snails. I have read that you fast the fish first but wouldn't fasting fry kill them??

I agree with Brennae. I sold some of my platies, the day after I posted them on Craigslist someone called and took them. I did charge a small fee so, it was worth it.

Yeah I have both sold and bought off Craigs many times and usually never have a hassle. People in the Chicagoland area post fry all the time. I gave away a ton of snails that way too. Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom