Semi aggressive cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpaq2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
What are some pretty cichlids that can be kept in a community tank. I'm thinking around the aggression level of Rams. Pictures help.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

from what I've read a firemouth might work if you're looking for a small species

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

from what I've read a firemouth might work if you're looking for a small species

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 firemouths they stay small and not so aggressive towards other fishes also Bolivian rams are peaceful and stay smallish.

I have a keyhole and he is really peaceful!
Mines got quite big too :)

My heckelii is peaceful. He actually gets bullied by my severum, but does fine even with tiny baby oto cats swimming around him.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I looked at the hekelli and the keyhole cichlids they are both really pretty. I am wondering how big they get and if they can be kept with smaller schooling fish such as tetras and rasboras. Also are they comfortable with Angels?

I looked at the hekelli and the keyhole cichlids they are both really pretty. I am wondering how big they get and if they can be kept with smaller schooling fish such as tetras and rasboras. Also are they comfortable with Angels?

Heckelii gets 8-10" so it'd be fine in a 100 gallon tank. Since they're cichlids it's kind of up in the air on how well they do with other fish. Towards conspecifics it seems to be the consensus that they don't do well with each other, usually one killing the other. With other schooling fish, any fish will eat something that can fit in its mouth, but so far with my heck. I haven't seen hi even attempt to nip another fish. I've got mine in with Denison barbs, rainbows, and oto cats and he completely ignores them all.

I'm not sure about sticking them with angels, you could try it but I'd watch it carefully. You would need to have a sand substrate if you went with the heckelii as they do sift through the sand quite a bit.

Heckelii gets 8-10" so it'd be fine in a 100 gallon tank. Since they're cichlids it's kind of up in the air on how well they do with other fish. Towards conspecifics it seems to be the consensus that they don't do well with each other, usually one killing the other. With other schooling fish, any fish will eat something that can fit in its mouth, but so far with my heck. I haven't seen hi even attempt to nip another fish. I've got mine in with Denison barbs, rainbows, and oto cats and he completely ignores them all.

I'm not sure about sticking them with angels, you could try it but I'd watch it carefully. You would need to have a sand substrate if you went with the heckelii as they do sift through the sand quite a bit.

Like any other larger geophagine they do better in groups, then you don't have the dominant fish harassing a single sub dominant fish to death.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's a pic of my keyhole :)

I have him in my tank along with my angel without any issues

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427408010.236964.jpg

Back
Top Bottom