Semi-Aggressive Tank Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insecurity

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys.
Now that my freshwater tank is going well, I sort of want to get a bigger tank, (50g+) (once I find the place to put it...) and house some semi-aggressive freshwater tropicals.
Once I've secured the tank (I put some wanted ads on kijiji and replied to some) and the space, I'm going to start planning out my setup.

I'm personally thinking an under-gravel filter, but I have no experience with them. Suggestions? Comments?
As for stocking, I'm thinking either a red-tailed black shark or bala shark, with a school of tiger barbs. I was looking around at other fish, but what else would you suggest?

As you can tell, the aquarium bug has defintely bit me. :fish2:

I had a Bala shark a few years ago, I highly recommend them! He was my favorite fish, always active, looked cool, and really hardy! Have you checked Craigslist? That's where I got my setup from, piece by piece for super cheap. Good luck

Bala sharks are schooling so they need a very large tank (more than 100 gallons)

Here is what I think would be cool:
5 regular tiger barbs
5 green tiger barbs
5 albino tiger barbs
1 convict cichlid
1 rainbow shark (aka red-tailed shark)

bud29 said:
Bala sharks are schooling so they need a very large tank (more than 100 gallons)

Here is what I think would be cool:
5 regular tiger barbs
5 green tiger barbs
5 albino tiger barbs
1 convict cichlid
1 rainbow shark (aka red-tailed shark)

That stock sounds good. I could be wrong, but i am pretty sure that rainbow sharks and RTS are different with the colors being slightly different and rainbow sharks being more peaceful.

For a 50gal go for a rainbow shark ... A red-tail shark needs at east a 75 gal ... IMO. Both are territorially aggressive, but an RBS is a bit smaller and a little less aggressive than a red-tail.

For a 50gal go for a rainbow shark ... A red-tail shark needs at east a 75 gal ... IMO. Both are territorially aggressive, but an RBS is a bit smaller and a little less aggressive than a red-tail.

I agree. The OP did state though that it was going to be a 50+ gallon aquarium, so a red-tail would not be out of the question, if that 50+ gallon happens to be a 75 gal. or larger.

I have a Rainbow and he is pretty peaceful. The tags at Petsmart say that RTS are smaller than RBS?

vanimal said:
I have a Rainbow and he is pretty peaceful. The tags at Petsmart say that RTS are smaller than RBS?

Would that be the same Petsmart that listed a 29gal is a minimum for Denison Barbs? The tags should be labeled the other way around.

Don't get me started on petsmart- when I was first starting my 36g, and realizing, upon research that a shark setup isn't feasible I went in to petsmart and asked the kid at the fish counter and he said '36g is enough for a shark.'

So you guys are saying that for an RTBS that a 75-100g would be ideal? Ok- also another question: would a tank have water chemistry problems if kept in an insulated basement room that was mold problems? I would assume yes, but I don't really know.

My rainbow shark had to be rehomed to someone with 125 gallon tank. He ate my school of zebra danios and was seriously harrassing one of my bigger fish. I always recommend 75 gallon minimum for this species, based on my own experience.

Both rainbow and redtail sharks can become very territorially aggressive. While a 55gal will work for a rainbow... a 75gal is better.

Anything less than 75gal for a red-tail is asking for trouble...IMO. You want to give it as much territory as possible.

It makes sense, since whichever shark I end up with (RTBS / Bala / Rainbow ) will be swimming with a group of barbs. Any other fish that would be safe?

I had a Rainbow in a 45 with Guppies and he never bothered or killed any of them.

insecurity said:
It makes sense, since whichever shark I end up with (RTBS / Bala / Rainbow ) will be swimming with a group of barbs. Any other fish that would be safe?

Consider ditching the balas (get way too big) and the Rainbow/redtail and go with Denison Barbs. Peaceful, graceful and colorful. I think petsmart has them on sale for around $6 - $7.

Back
Top Bottom