Semi-Noob Needs Advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

realdeal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I use to have aquariums about 10 years ago so I have been out of the hobby for a while and need some help.

I plan on purchasing a 55Gallon tank for freshwater use. I am thinking about loading it up with some nice community fish and some schooling fish as well.

- I am wondering, what are the best filters these days? Can any of you recommend a good online store to purchase these accessories?
-What about good heaters?
-I've noticed some of you have a sand-like gravel in your Freshwater tanks which I normally see on Saltwater setups. What is this stuff and is it safe for freshwater fish? I really like the look of it.
-How long should I expect for my tank to cycle? Do I put any fish in the tank before the cycle is complete? (I've never heard of this "cycle" thing until I started reading these forums.

Thank you all for your help. This forum is full of great information!

Welcome to AA!!!

For a 55 gallon you can do either a HOB or a cannister. Aquaclear seems to be the favorite HOB around here. Eheim and Fluval both make excellent cannister filters.

I like visi-therm stealth heaters myself. You will need 300 watts.

Sand is a good choice for substrate many folks around here use it. Pool filter sand is a good option and it is cheap.

This article describes the Nitrogen cycle: http://aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

You can do it without adding fish. Here is another article for you: http://aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15
Ignore the saltwater part works for fresh as well. You can usee pure ammonia instead of a shrimp as well. It usually takes about 6 weeks to cycle a tank.

Bigalsonline.com is a great place to buy everything except the tank and stand.

Substrate means the same thing as gravel? Can I just put pool sand down as gravel? Do I need to worry about how powerful my filter is if I use sand?

Additionally, is an under gravel filter recommended?

Yes substrate is anything used on the bottom: gravel, sand, whatever. Yes you can just use pool sand as substrate. Under gravel filters are considered obsolete and our real nitrate factories. They wont work with the sand anyway.

Is there any advantages or disadvantages to using sand or gravel? What product would you recommend to clean the sand and or gravel? Are there different devices depending on the type of substrate?

Welcome

I just upgraded to a 55g myself, - its a nice size. I had a HOB filter on my smaller tank and moved it to my 55 although it makes a little noise (from the waterfall) unless the water level is kept very high. I like it for adding H20 to the water. I don't use airstones.

After reading this forum I purchased a Xp2 canister filter from Bigals and it works great.

I purchased sand from a garden center that was not as fine as pool filter sand, although its harder to find in the winter months in the north.

If you have a friend with a tank, or your LFS will give you some (My son had a tank) get some sand or gravel from their tank, it speeds up the cyle alot. (Only 2 to 3 weeks).
AL

A device like this comes highly reccomended. I makes life much easier all the way around. http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=34353;category_id=2281 It works on either garvel or sand.

Sand is easier to keep clean. The dirt stays on top instead of getting into the gravel. It does need stirred in order to keep bad pockets from building up.

Gravel comes in any color you can imagine. It is not a bad choice either.

Most people that try sand like it better and do not regret changing or using it.

I think a better way of cycling is doing exact ammonia dosing daily. You can get Clear Ammonia from Walmart and dose up to 3-5ppm and maintain that level daily. This way is a bit more exact than the shrimp method.

I like sand too. I have EcoComplete (nice and black) which is also good for plants.

if you get a sand substrate make sure you get malaysian trumpet snail or you have to stir the substrate every once in a while. otherwise you will get anaerobic pockets.

HTH

Welcome to AA, youll find you answers to everything you want toknow about aquariums here, just ask

Kyle

You guys are AWESOME! What excellent, speedy advice! BTW, where does one find a malaysian trumpet snail? LOL Seriously, do you order your fish online or at your local pet store?

Most decent local fish stores have malaysian trumpet snails. But you do not need them if you go with sand--you just have to make sure to stir up the sand a bit when you do your weekly water changes. Even with the snails, you would still need to do some stirring up anyway.

Doing a fishless cycle is a great idea for several reasons: aside from properly establishing your biological filter without endangering or damaging your fish, it gives you plenty of time to really research and plan what you want in your tank. You may initially think you want snails, for instance, but then learn as you are researching other fish that you may have compatibility problems for one reason or another.

The Malaysian Trumpet Snails are great! They are plant friendly and burrow into your substrate, hence shifting it around for you. They are nocturnal hence you wont' really see them. The only downside is they are livebearers and will reproduce pretty quickly. You won't really know how many you have unless you suprise them in the middle of the night by turning the lights on. They are pretty snails too though. They are a must for my tank.

Back
Top Bottom