Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Rinse and water changes like reccomended.

I would stay away from feeders just because what would you do with them if they live?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 09-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I saw no mention of vinegar or bleach in the MSDS sheet.
It even specifically said dilution with water for small spills was recommended.
"No special clean up"
They considered a small spill 1 gallon!
If you rinsed as you say I still think you are not in as bad a position as you think.
I would think you are going to get better results with massive waterchanges or carbon,
IF there is anything in the water itself.
Vinegar is just a more friendly 'acid' and probably not going to do much to either of the 2 acids in the CLR.
Bleach is used to disinfect so I can see no use for it at all in this application.

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rinse with 7 tank volumes of water and run carbon in your filter. IIRC, CLR is relatively water-soluble.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
PNWaquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well people got me thinking maybe it isn't as bad as I predicted. I think I will allow three zebra danios to be crash test dummies. If there was CLR in the water would they be belly up instantly/tomorrow or slow and painful over a couple days before I try this?
Old 09-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

As a general rule, mixing bleach with other household cleaners is a bad idea. It sounds like you rinsed it out pretty well though , so I doubt anything would come of it in this particular situation (other than now you'd have to worry about bleach in your water).

I've used a cleaning product called Barkeepers Friend to clean up tough hard water stains in an aquarium. I just made sure I was super thorough when I rinsed it out... and then I rinsed it out again.

Running a carbon filter wouldn't be a bad idea. If nothing else it'll give you some peace of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The amount of CLR will determine the death rate in the beginning...

I'm going to guess your tank is not cycled yet so going for a fish in cycling method you could just start practicing your waterchanges now at 15-20 gallons at a clip.
With fish in a uncycled tank this could easily be a daily activity for you for a couple weeks easy anyways!
You want info on fishless cycling(no water changes) or on fish in cycling??
Old 09-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
As a general rule, mixing bleach with other household cleaners is a bad idea. It sounds like you rinsed it out pretty well though , so I doubt anything would come of it in this particular situation (other than now you'd have to worry about bleach in your water).

I've used a cleaning product called Barkeepers Friend to clean up tough hard water stains in an aquarium. I just made sure I was super thorough when I rinsed it out... and then I rinsed it out again.

Running a carbon filter wouldn't be a bad idea. If nothing else it'll give you some peace of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Filter is an Aqueon Quietflow 30 which has carbon in the cartridge. Just curious right now if the water did have traces of CLR and I wanted to use some test fish how long would they last?

Thanks again for the replies everyone much appreciated!
Old 09-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
The amount of CLR will determine the death rate in the beginning...

I'm going to guess your tank is not cycled yet so going for a fish in cycling method you could just start practicing your waterchanges now at 15-20 gallons at a clip.
With fish in a uncycled tank this could easily be a daily activity for you for a couple weeks easy anyways!
You want info on fishless cycling(no water changes) or on fish in cycling??
Good point that's what I'm worried about slow and painful death! Was going to try a fish in cycle with zebra danio found this website with a simple guide hopefully posting other fish websites isn't breaking forum rules.

Tips for Cycling Your New Aquarium - The First Tank Guide - Getting Your Fish Tank Up and Running with Minimal Headaches
Old 09-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan11122 View Post
Good point that's what I'm worried about slow and painful death! Was going to try a fish in cycle with zebra danio found this website with a simple guide hopefully posting other fish websites isn't breaking forum rules.

Tips for Cycling Your New Aquarium - The First Tank Guide - Getting Your Fish Tank Up and Running with Minimal Headaches
I recommend you try this cycle. Less water changes involved this way and less testing. The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
Old 09-13-2015, 02:43 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

^+1^ with fish wrangler.
Your own link mentions you might encounter some disease issues after cycling!
A fishless cycle is quicker 95% of the time,has no needed waterchanges when done properly,and leaves the keeper completely ready to stock their tank(no matter the size) 100% all at once!
Possibly doing the fishless cycle is a good way to be sure your water is not contaminated as the BB(beneficial bacteria) you will be growing during the cycle will not live if water is not safe for fish??

Tags
aquarium, rio, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com