serpae tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my mother showed up today with 5 of these guys. I've never kept them and know nothing about them. As of now they're in my 10g Betta tank and the Betta was moved to a 5g tank for good measure. Help plz

Keep calm and drum on

Definitely a good call to move your Betta. Serpaes are nippy. Very pretty fish, active, with bright colors, and cool interactions with each other, but you have to be careful about tank mates. Minimum 20 gallons would be ideal for them.

Is it normal for them to swim in circles constantly? They can go straight but they seem to prefer circles

Keep calm and drum on

when you say swimming in circles, are they facing off with each other and circling? that is normal serpae behavior, establishing a pecking order and challenging for position. they sortve tilt at an angle and do tight circles faced off..normally very colored up when they do this. not sure if it what you are describing, though.

No there's one big one they follow and they just go in a circle. It's mainly around a little bridge in the middle of the tank.

Keep calm and drum on

Well they are an active fish, which is why a 20 is better for them, larger footprint for them to move around in. As long as they are not swimming erratically, they're probably fine. How is their color? Any pics?

Did you just add them today? Their colors look washed out but that is normal when you first move them. They will color up once they get comfortable.

Yes, I would totally rather have the 20 long.

They where put in today and when I asked there she got them she said Walmart so I think that may have something to do with color as well.

Keep calm and drum on

They are a very hardy fish and will hopefully rebound very quickly. I would keep an eye on the ammonia/nitrites for a bit...serpaes have a small bioload but not sure how 5 serpaes compare to one betta. Did your mom happen to notice how the fish looked at the Walmart, any dead/sick fish?

do you have a 20 gallon long or are you thinking about buying one?

She didn't see any dead ones but she doesn't really know fish diseases. I have a 20g regular but it also has a Betta and gourami so that ones out but I can get a 20g long real easy.

Keep calm and drum on

Nice, so now you have a great excuse for buying a new 20 gallon long. Why not go 40 long? :devilish:

I wouldn't add any fish into the 10G with the serpaes yet. The fish quality from Walmart is really bad and you wouldn't want them to have a disease and transfer it to a new fish! I really like serpaes but, they can nip the fins of their own kind. Five will be enough for a school and will keep them comfortable. They don't nip any of my other fish once they established a pecking order- another reason to wait a while before you add any other fish.

I probably won't add anything to the 10g. I'll let them there until I get a 20g set up for them then move the Betta back to the 10g once it's cycled

Keep calm and drum on

Great idea! Though you might want to get the betta some tankmates.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I do plan on on getting tankmates for her but preferably not a fish who's name translates to "to bite". The name alone is enough for a species only tank for them.

Keep calm and drum on

Back
Top Bottom