Serpae Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abigail06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a 60 gallon planted tank with ten serpae tetras and ten zebra danios. I was wondering if I can put some sort of cichlid with them and if not what might be another center piece fish?

Rams and Apistos would certainly work as centerpieces. The tetras and danios may nip at their fins a bit at first, but the cichlids are boisterous enough to hold their own and show who's boss.

A caution on rams they require almost perfect water parameters

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sorry my reply is late but I was wondering if there are any larger fish that would be a good center piece. I love gouramis but I feel like they would get nipped at.

I keep Mbuna cichlids with Sepaes. No problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry my reply is late but I was wondering if there are any larger fish that would be a good center piece. I love gouramis but I feel like they would get nipped at.

Yeah gouramis would get their fins nipped all to hell. I don't suggest that. Maybe with zebras but not with serpaes

Discus, Angels, various rams or kribensis are the only cichlids suitable for that mix in terms of temperament and water condition needs.
If it were me, I would double the # in the schools of both tetras and danios and get more schools of tetras of various sizes. the bigger the school, less aggression.
Bleeding Hearts tetras are one of my favorites and get pretty good sized.

I was thinking about some turquoise rainbow fish to get some different colors in there. I definitely do love the Rams and key hole cichlids. Thank you all for your help!

Wouldn't angelfish get their fins nipped and don't they get aggressive as they mature?

I have Serpae Tetras in my community tank. Along with other fish, I have 4 males GBRs and an Angel. My tank is planted also, and I have no problems with aggression. The GBRs get puffed up toward each other sometimes, but there is no serious fighting or nipping in my tank.

I'd suggest a bolivian ram! Absolutely beautiful fish and pretty hardy too.

I've had angelfish with other tetras (red eye, blackskirt) and had no problem. The angels are much bigger and more territorial so I was fine :)

<g.m.t.a>

Thank you all! I do love the ram cichlids and angle fish. I'm more concerned about the danios nipping other fish then I am about the tetras.

Thank you all! I do love the ram cichlids and angle fish. I'm more concerned about the danios nipping other fish then I am about the tetras.

If anything, my zebras are scared of my angelfish aha. I have two angels and five danios but no one has been nipped (yet). :)

<g.m.t.a>

Thank you! Will the angelfish get aggressive though?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! Will the angelfish get aggressive though?

Perhaps if they pair up and start mating. Mine have spawned several times before and get territorial but the danios and tetras have learned to stay away. And with a 60G I'd say you're good ;)
Depends on the pair though (if you get a pair).
I like to move the decor around every couple weeks so they don't get too territorial.
Hope this helped! If you have any questions feel free to ask :)
-Namirah

<g.m.t.a>

Back
Top Bottom