serpaes and bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can i put my serpae tetras with a male betta in a 20 gallon with 2 sunset fire platys, 2 (soon to be 4) julii corys and two amano shrimp? Thanks.

Bettas sometimes eat shrimp. Any fish that is colorful and flashy is a risk because the Betta may mistake it for another Betta. I have Bettas in with corys and have no issues but depends on how aggressive your Betta is so make sure you have alternate housing in case things go wrong for some reason. Good luck!

IME i say no serpaes with a betta, but because the serpaes can become nippy. Same goes with black skirts. I would suggest maybe a calmer tetra, like the gold pristellas, or embers (those are the only ones I have personally had with my bettas). I think there are many tetras that can work with a betta.
And I do agree that the betta will most likely eat the shrimp if they are too small and if there is not enough hiding places for the shrimp that the betta cannot get into.

Yeah i know lol thanks to you both. My dad says to ask if it makes a difference if the betta is white.
I'm getting my new bettas in this week, both white. I've seen the video of the male. That bad boy is aggressive - I wouldn't trust him with anyone else in the tank with him.

I don't think bettas care about their own colors as far as whether or not they would attack another flashy fish. Temperament may matter. Some people claim their bettas are mellow and compatible with other fishes. I tend to chose feisty ones so I wouldn't know about that!:lol:

Can i put my serpae tetras with a male betta in a 20 gallon with 2 sunset fire platys, 2 (soon to be 4) julii corys and two amano shrimp? Thanks.

I'd say try it . I defied what most people thought and put my betta with a gourami and they get along just fine.

Just make sure you have a separate tank you can put the betta in if he gets to aggressive.

Betta fish are more territorial than aggressive.

I would worry about the Serpae nipping the betta than the betta being aggressive.. I tried putting a paradise fish in my tank with Serpae and she died within 2 days.. They nipped her fins real bad. I would try something with less tempting fins!

I would worry about the Serpae nipping the betta than the betta being aggressive.. I tried putting a paradise fish in my tank with Serpae and she died within 2 days.. They nipped her fins real bad. I would try something with less tempting fins!

I'd still try it , bettas are such beautiful fish especially with tank mates. If the serpaes are to nippy just move the betta out. Just monitor it closely for a day or two.

Meant betta being aggressive as far as eating shrimp, even big ones. Hear they just eat those piece by piece. And re: platies, not serpae.

I wasn't clear - sorry.

My Betta lives with 6 neon tetras and 3 red cherry shrimp. At least for the last month since I introduced the new inhabitants to his 6 month old tank. The tank is 29 gallons and is very heavily planted. The neons are pretty fast and just avoid him if he flares or chases one if them, and he gives up. The shrimp are pretty big but he barely notices them and they feed out in the open.

Good luck! I would never risk a fin on my Bettas back he is my baby! We have been through thick and thin, he survived it all and he is my number 1 man

Attachments

• image-2482848527.jpg
    image-2482848527.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 60
These shrimp are my favorite shrimps ever. Have house them in tanks with bettas before. Theyre hardcore parcore pros. Ill get a gallo jug or a breeders net or something, put the betta next to the tank (or in it wid that net) and see if either of them react.

Back
Top Bottom