Set up for 30 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sephrow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Any suggestion/tips

5 Glowlight Tetra

1 Striata Botia Loach

3 Green Tiger Barbs

3 Topsail Platy

Hiya Sephrow, welcome to Aquariumadvice :)

More loaches; at least 3 total. They are very social and need buddies of the same species to be happy (the botia species do anyway). The striata botias don't get too large, so 3 will be fine with the other fish you chose.

More tiger barbs; they are schooling fish and can also get a little aggressive. Better to have a decent size school and spread the aggression around within the group then have a few and have them pic on the others. I'd suggest 9 or so.

I'd also add to the glowlight school. Again, minimum of 6 for those guys.

To be honest, if you fill out the groups of the fish you've chosen you don't have a lot of room left. Maybe a few otos for algae control (don't get them until the tank has algae; they don't do well in new tanks).

So:

6 Glowlight Tetra

3 Loaches

9 Green Tiger Barbs

3 Topsail Platy

and possibly a couple of otos

Shold I be worried about it being over crowded?

[center:49d6f77346] :n00b: Welcome to AA, Sephrow!! :smilecolros:[/center:49d6f77346]
If Alli says you can do it--go for it. What kind of filter do you have?
3 Topsail Platy
If they mate, there will be overcrowding! To ensure no fry, get all males. If you have somewhere the fry can go, then it doesn't matter.
Sounds like the beginnings of a lovely tank.

With that filtration, don't worry about the bio load--as long as the fish are not aggressive towards each other and there is room to swim.
FWIW--if you never end up with an algae problem, you may still want a pleco. I love mine--I have both a common and a Rubber Lip. For your tank, you need a smaller one--pit bull or RL or maybe a Bristle Nose. I will admit that I don't see my RL a lot (thought he was 4-5"--he's a whopping 2 1/2" and I've had him for over a year :roll: ). I used to see more of him when the community fish were in the 29 gal, now they are living the life in a 50!

Hehe, plus with that size of a filter, you're almost adding a sump. That thing's about another 2 gallons of water hanging from the back of the tank!

Back
Top Bottom