setting up 10gallon Betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbalaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a used 10 gallon tank that was given to me in rough shape. I thoroughly cleaned it and resealed the tank. I want to make it into a super healthy tank for a Betta. Suggestions on substrate, plants or no plants, driftwood, rocks, filtration etc., any ideas in general are welcome. Come on in and share what you would do.

I like sand but gravel is fine too. Definitely plants (floating ones too), driftwood and rock. Since betta don't like a lot of flow I would get a small sponge filter or two.

I like sand but gravel is fine too. Definitely plants (floating ones too), driftwood and rock. Since betta don't like a lot of flow I would get a small sponge filter or two.
floating plants? water level low from top of tank, uncovered or covered. I heard Bettas can be jumpers and should leave tank level lower so room for them to come up for a breath every once in awhile if they want to.

I too would go with sand. either pool filter sand or black diamond blasting sand since both are very cheap. I would plant medium-heavy with some floating plants but not to many. Don't completely cover the surface since bettas breathe directly from the surface. I have a 20 gallon long split into 3 sections and that tank I do keep the water level lower since I came in to find one betta had jumped the divider and shredded the other bettas fins. I keep them in 10 gallon tanks also solo and keep the water level maxed. They haven't jumped out of those tanks yet. Like king stated low flow is needed since most bettas struggle in fast current. Be careful with decor like driftwood, rocks and any of those plastic decor they sell in pet stores. Bettas can easily tear their fins on sharp edges or get stuck in decor. Natural habitats for them are largely made up of plants, sticks and leaves.

Good points goat. Yes, smaller smooth limbed branches. You could even attach moss to them at the ends if you want to cushion it a bit. I wouldn't cover more than one side of the tank with floating plants. They make a ring type thing that sits on the surface of the water and holds the floating plants. It's good cover for them and they like cover. Lid is a must IMO. I'd go with glass and place a light over it.

I'm also setting up a 10G betta tank!

I'm taking the opportunity to be a bit bold, though and am doing soil capped with pond pebbles.

For hardscape, avoid anything that is likely to tear fins. So no dragon stone, no lava rock. I'm going with soft woods and a couple of petrified wood accent pieces.

For plants, they love a heavy planted tank and the lower flow they prefer makes them ideal for floating plants like frogbit and water lettuce (make sure it's legal in your state).

I'm going with java fern propagated from my other tank, pennywort, anacharis and echinodorus parviflorus. I've seen people use marimo balls and java moss as well.

As mentioned, stay away from heavy flow filters. There are a lot of HOB filters where you can adjust the output or cushion the flow with sponges. I find this preferable to air pump fed sponges for bettas. Just make sure your intake has a sponge cover and that you can turn down the flow. Bettas are weak swimmers and can get stuck on strong intake or have their fins torn.

Also make sure you have a reliable heater that doesn't have any sharp edges or dangerous holes. Betta can be very curious and can get stuck in plastic parts. But they really need a tank maintained at temps between 78-82.

This also may sound weird, but make sure your betta tank isn't near any reflective surfaces. Bettas, especially males, are highly territorial and will see their reflection as an intruder. They will be constantly stressed by the stranger they can't chase off!

Back
Top Bottom