Setting up a 10 Gallon- Advice Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Renn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
All right, so I'm a die-hard aquarium enthusiast... Since I was 7 (I'm 15 now), I've been absolutely in love with fish. But it wasn't until now that my parents finally decided to let me have a tank of my own. There's a problem- the only size tank they'll let me have is a dinky 10 gallon. I know it's way too small for any good community tank, and I know I'll have to do about a gazillion partial water changes a week... But I just wanted some advice on how to stock the tank. I had a few ideas, and questions about each one-

1) 2 Pearl Gouramis, and 3 Skunk Corydoras. Would the gouramis and corys get along? Would 2 Pearls be enough, or should I go for 3? Is there even enough room in there for the 2?

2) 3-4 zebra danios, 1 male betta, 3 Skunk Corydoras. I think they'd get along... Is it too much biomass though?

3) A school of tiger barbs... How many tiger barbs would live comfortably in the 10 gallon? Would they be fine in a single-species tank?

4) A school of black shirt tetras- My favorite fish. Same thing with the barbs- how many would fit comfortably?

So does anyone have any advice on which setup I should go with, or any answers to the questions I've asked? I'm also a little shaky on aquarium plants... Which ones would go well with which setup? Or could I get away with no vegation, or fake it with plastics?

Any advice on these questions, or just anything at all, would be greatly appreciated. I really want this to work.

1) I think pearl gouramis are to big for a ten gallon.

2) This may work but the danios may be to active for the betta.

3) Never have had tiger barbs.

4) I think 6 black skirts and a few cories would be a nice combo.

I have five danios, a molly, a male betta, and a female betta together in a 10, and everyone is fine. (yes, i know you are not "supposed" to kee males and females together, but they are doing fine, they never fight)

Danios never cause any issues for the betta either, he has a cave he hides in every now and then, but everyone gets along.

(this is just one of my 7 tanks though)

Mmm, I think I might be going with the black skirts and some of the skunk corys... I'm really excited about those guys, my LFS just got a new shipment...

Your last idea sounds the best. Tiger barbs should never be kept in anything smaller than a 29 gln. due to their need to be in larger schools (at least seven fish) and their activity level.
Personally live plants is the best way to go. You can almost always put in low light plants like Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias and some Crypts and they will survive. The plants help a lot with water quality and, of course, a more natural environment for your fish. Have fun!

If black skirt tetras are your favorite fish then I definitely think you can't go wrong with them. They are nice and hardy as well. Tons of people keep danios in 10 gallons but personally I think they're like bullets and they really need room to zip around. Tiger barbs get some decent size on them over time and 10 gallons isn't really room enough for a cool size school. Corys are great and they are hardy as well. Plus unlike other bottem catfish they don't hide and zip all over the tank and even zip to the top for air. l

Java fern is great for small tanks with minimal lighting. It's hardy and while it won't thrive or grow fast it generally won't die even with regular lights. You could also add a shrimp, mystery snail, or african dwarf frog for some added interest. They should all be fine with corys and black skirt tetras.

Back
Top Bottom