Setting up a 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADCISCO

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok guys...I need some feedback on this one. I am about in inherit a 55 gallon tank with supposably everything. I know that I should clean it good and I am going to take apart the filters and clean them too and I will probably be getting new gravel just to be on the safe side. To get this 55 off to a good start can I take some of the water from the 29 gallon that is already established and put in this tank along with some of the other plants and ornaments to get this tank established? Or would I be better off getting a sponge filter and put it in my 29 gallon for a while and then put it in the tank? And also I thought of getting some bigger fish for this tank...any suggestions. I dont want anything too huge or aggressive but something that would make a nice display and wouldnt make the tank look too empty. Any suggestions on gravel and background? I would like to have something that would stand out and maybe even a new light to show off the fish better. So give me your comments. I have a $133 to spend on this tank so I need to make good use for what I buy!

I have a 55 gallon with one medium sized oscar, 3 cichlids, and some blackfin sharks (aka columbian catfish). I don't imagine you'd want any more than the one oscar in there, because they do get pretty big, but as long as your other fish grow with him, they should stay too big to fit in his mouth :)

The sharks are neat fish... they're very active 'community' fish, and Ive heard they can grow to be about 12"

I would clean the filter from the 55, and run it on the 29 for a week or so. Then put it on the 55 media and all. It should pick up enough bacteria to jump start your cycle. As far as the gravel, unless it is a color you don't like, why not just clean it and re-use it. Boil it if you need to. So far no money spent, and your up and running. As far as decor, there is nothing like a trip to the lake or the beach, collect rocks and driftwood. Bring it home boil it, your good to go. Still no money spent. I usually paint the backs of my tanks with latex, black or blue.

This leaves your money to concentrate on fish. Nothing like Africans in a display tank, lots of color, lots of attitude. Just make sure you get plenty of rocks to create hiding places. And make sure you research the fish you do buy, as far as compatability, adult size, substrate needs, water chemistry requirements, etc. Good Luck! We want to see a picture when it is all set up.

Well my first thought was cichlids! The oscars....well....my sister in law has one and he is VERY LARGE!!! and he is also in a tank with an extremely large piranha! Which they have tried to get me to take off their hands....the piranha that is. I wanted to get something colorful and I really like the cichlids. But I am uncertain to what kind to get because I know that they can be very aggressive! I posted pics of my new crystal and I'm awaiting approval. So keep a check and tell me what you think!

If you want color you could get some Peacocks (auloncara). Nice colorful cichlid and I think that they only get to be about 4-6". As far as substrate goes if it were me I would go with sand. I have pool filter sand in my 30 Gallon breeder and within the next week I will be switching the gravel out of my 125 Gallon and putting in play sand. Background is all about personal taste, I haven't had a single comment from any of my fish about my backgrounds...my wife on the other hand.....

he is also in a tank with an extremely large piranha! Which they have tried to get me to take off their hands....the piranha that is.
Are you sure it isn't a Pacu? I didn't think that Piranha got extremely large.

I agree with djbarnes88. I think the malawi peacocks, with their myriad of colors, are one of the most beautiful FW fish available.

ADISCO, Im setting up a 55 gallon with discus, that would difinatly be a cool tank type. Keep half dozen discus and a school of tetras, maybe a pair of rams or kibs. This will depend if you can find a discus supplier for a cheap price, mine were $15 a piece w/ buy 5 get 1 free. HTH!

Definitely get some tips from BrianNY if you do plan on going the discus route - that requires major planning and attention.

I like the peacock idea, as they are colorful, not as aggressive as some other cichlids, and would go nicely in a 55. I would not get an oscar, as when they are full grown they will be too large to turn around in a 55, which is relative narrow.

My 55g is basically an angelfish tank, with some loaches and a large plec. Body size they range from 2-3 1/3 inches long (not including the fins) and my superveils have fins longer then their bodies! With a 55g you could have 5-6 angels (figure 10g per angel). While they aren't the most active fish, they sure are graceful and a pleasure to watch. And they come in a variety of colors and patterns. Also, with 5-6 angels you are just about guaranteed to have a pair, which will mean mating activity (always fun to watch!). And no, you don't have to worry bout having a zillion extra fish unless you want; in a community tank usually the eggs or fry are eaten. Love my guys; they are hilarious to watch!

A darker substrate, some plants (fake or real), some driftwood and a little rock work should be enough to have a lovely tank. You might be able to find some pea gravel (untreated with chemicals) at a HomeDepot or a store like that for the substrate - its cheaper then buying at a lfs. www.bigalsonline.com has items for a lot less then lfs as well since you have a small budget.

This is the view of my tank from the couch (2 of the angels got camera shy but I think you get the idea LOL): http://www.myaquaria.com/gallery/allivymar/couchview1_rs . And if you haven't read my writeup on angels go check it out :)

Ideas for a 55

Alli, you've inpired me to take more pics of my planted 55. It's main inhabitants are 3 adult Black Veil Angels. Tank mates are: 4 black tetras, 2 giant gouramis, 6 rasbora, 4 serpaes, 4 rummy nose, 4 kuhli loaches, and 6 otos.

Your Angel tank looks TERRIFIC :D

*grin* Thanx oscarbreeder; buncha fat scrappers they are (they are definitely cichlids!).

Oh and I forgot to mention. Just like other cichlids they are REALLY personable. My guys all come a running when we walk near the tank; apparently trying to convince us they have never eaten before. Even the cat peering into the tank is a possible provider of food (or so they think LOL). Frozen bloodworms cause a feeding frenzy, and algae wafers as well (picture an angel with a big ol wafer that wee mouth running from the others seemingly yelling "Mine! Mine!"). One of em is even willing to take food from our hands.

Oh Brian; I'm in lurve! Those black veils are stunning...and one of the few angelfish phenotypes I don't have. Maybe one will show up the next GCAS mtg? *smirk*

For sure its NOT a Pacu! It is a red belllied pirahna! I was just up there and he is huge. I am going to take my digital camera up there and show you this tank! I'm telling ya......a huge oscar and a pirahna and 2 plecos, 2 giant zebra danio and one misc fish not sure what it is...maybe a penguine tetra???? But I am going to take pictures so that you guys can witness this!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom