Setting Up A Fry Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am thinking about setting up a tank for my German Blue Ram Fry, Im considering getting a 10 or 20 gallon from the Petco $1 per gallon sale. Not really sure if 10 or 20 gallons would be better but heres the deal Im not sure if the idea I have in my head will work but ill lay it out and you tell me if its fine or not.

So I have a 75 gallon tank and well I hear that GBR arnt the best at caring for their fry and i want to breed and sell them sooo I want to do it right.

I want to set up a tank just for fry could I just do this?

20 gallon
Spunge filter
heater

No lights, No lid, No substrate. Just an empty tank

I will feed them live baby brine shrimp.

would this work? or do I need something more?

CleverBs said:
So I am thinking about setting up a tank for my German Blue Ram Fry, Im considering getting a 10 or 20 gallon from the Petco $1 per gallon sale. Not really sure if 10 or 20 gallons would be better but heres the deal Im not sure if the idea I have in my head will work but ill lay it out and you tell me if its fine or not.

So I have a 75 gallon tank and well I hear that GBR arnt the best at caring for their fry and i want to breed and sell them sooo I want to do it right.

I want to set up a tank just for fry could I just do this?

20 gallon
Spunge filter
heater

No lights, No lid, No substrate. Just an empty tank

I will feed them live baby brine shrimp.

would this work? or do I need something more?

Sounds like you have a plan. You can't go wrong with the 20 gallon tank. Just cycle the tank first using seed material from your established tank. The cycle should go much quicker that way. If you don't use a top the only drawbacks are evaporation and possible contamination from air freshener and furniture polish. You dont have cats or dogs that get thirsty do you?

I would go with the 20. As far as breeding GBRs go, I haven't a clue. Some experienced members here have reported them as extremely difficult and sensitive fish. Good luck

You could get your sponge filter going now in your 75 to pick up some beneficial bacteria going in advance.

I think ill just toss the filter from my 10gallon on it. and it will be in the basement in a cool room, I may put a peice of plexy glass or something over top of it. but it seems to me that would be a good enough setup for fry. Ill use Ro/Di water in it and the 20 gallon should allow them to be in the "fry tank" a little longer.

CleverBs said:
I think ill just toss the filter from my 10gallon on it. and it will be in the basement in a cool room, I may put a peice of plexy glass or something over top of it. but it seems to me that would be a good enough setup for fry. Ill use Ro/Di water in it and the 20 gallon should allow them to be in the "fry tank" a little longer.

Good plan. Good luck on the breeding and keep us informed. Pictures would be awesome also...

Clever, I would recommend getting the twenty gallon and using it as a fry tank. You could also get a spare quarantine tank...

the place I buy my fish from QT them for a week for me basicly I order on monday he gets them in the next day and puts them in one of his tanks alone, then I pick them up the following monday. And im planning on getting a 20 gallon but I do have a 36 gallon I may clean up and use. my dad used it to breed some cichlids in awhile back. A little scrubbing and it would probably be good to go that way all I would need to buy is the sponge filter and heater. would be really cheap to do, I think i may even have a lid.

So I'm going to try and clean up the 36 gallon today and see if I can make it work idk why it wouldn't. Anyone know how o could possibly separate the tank in half to keep different sized fry separate

My fry tank is all set up and fishless cycling. was super easy to clean up and get going. will use it as a QT tank till I breed my rams.

CleverBs said:
My fry tank is all set up and fishless cycling. was super easy to clean up and get going. will use it as a QT tank till I breed my rams.

Good deal. If you moved an established filter over to this tank, your cycle will be very fast if not instant. Only testing will prove it though. Good luck and keep is informed how it goes with the GBR breeding.

Good deal. If you moved an established filter over to this tank, your cycle will be very fast if not instant. Only testing will prove it though. Good luck and keep is informed how it goes with the GBR breeding.

Thanks man, I dont really have an astablished filter to give up, I could put my guppies in it and snag their filter off the tank for a bit.

So I'm going to try and clean up the 36 gallon today and see if I can make it work idk why it wouldn't. Anyone know how o could possibly separate the tank in half to keep different sized fry separate
you could get a really big breeding net... lol.

I guess I could put wigglers in a breading net so they dont have to compete for food, or I may just set up a few 10 gallons and have them in different tanks at different stages, we will have to see how well my rams pair up and breed.

So I have decided I am going to set up 3 tanks for breeding

5 Gallon - Brine Shrimp
2x20 Gallon - For new fry
29 Gallon - Larger Fry
2x 100watt heaters Pro Therm Heaters (10 & 20)
1x 300 wat heater Fluval (29)
2x Hydro-Sponge Pro II (10 & 20)
1x Hydro-Sponge Pro III (29)
1x Whisper Air Pump 60 (29 & 20)
1x Whisper Air Pump 10 (10)

Back
Top Bottom