Setting up a QT tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwatergal

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm curious as to how I should set one up. From the pics I have seen on here, it should be a bare bones kinda thing, with a filter, heater, and light. But, what else should I add to it. I would be using this tank for a hospital tank, should I add meds before or after I add the fish, and how soon after setting the tank up should I wait to put the sick fish in? thanks.

I just set one up myself, But I added a small level of gravel and plastic plants just for looks and to give whatever I put in there to semi feel at home. (am I crazy). I also would like to know if you should put the meds in first. And what about the filtration, I think most meds want you to remove the charcoal filter. :? I know Alli prefers bare bones because you can empty and put away after use, and sterilize.

LOL You can do whatever you want in your QT Phil; I simply gave the basics. Actually its better not to have gravel when one is treating for parasites as they tend to hide down in there, but you can always remove it when you need to.

Your list is pretty much it Freshwatergal; nothing else is needed for a QT, although I usually have a plastic plant or a ceramic cave (both which can be easily sterilised) for fish who need hiding places like loaches. You could even use a 5-10g rubbermaid container, as long as its new and you rinse it really well, instead of a tank.

As for meds, I put the fish in and get them settled, then add the meds. Just makes more sense that way to me. Make sure there is no carbon running in the filter, if there is any just remove it. I had to do that when I started treating my rams; just cut a slit in the side of the filter media and dumped the carbon out, then replaced the filter.

Back
Top Bottom