Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

I did PFS for my 65g planted tank and so far all of my low lights plant have really liked it. They've all grown a lot and begun rooting all over the place. Having fish in there will increase the fertility of the sand, too, with the waste. I haven't had any problem with the sand damaging my filter yet.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Cornstar Send a message via Skype™ to Cornstar
Hi! Recently I added 50lbs of sand to my tank after rinsing it thoroughly with a pillow case.

After I added the sand in the tank slowly, it began to become very cloudy with the sand in the top roaming.

I was just wondering what is the best way to get the sand to settle down, currently my emperor 400 is off so the sand will not clog and break the impeller. Should I turn my air pump on? Suggestions please.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes I would definitely turn your air pump on the clouded water will become clear soon
Old 12-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes I would recommend turning your air pump on and the water should become clear soon
Old 12-15-2011, 01:20 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic747
Yes I would recommend turning your air pump on and the water should become clear soon
Thanks! I waited two days and my water is still a bit cloudy. Did a 50% pwc and still a bit cloudy. So I decided to turn on my filter but wrapped it in stockings to prevent the sand from destroying my impellers clearing up pretty fast!
Old 12-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not sure if anyone mentioned but malaysian trumpet snails or assassin snails or a few other sorts of snails can stir the sand so gas pockets don't form. Cheap fast breeding burrowing snails would be a good snack for your puffer too.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
Not sure if anyone mentioned but malaysian trumpet snails or assassin snails or a few other sorts of snails can stir the sand so gas pockets don't form. Cheap fast breeding burrowing snails would be a good snack for your puffer too.
I purchased 14 MTS for a $1 hoping they'll breed soon so I don't need to buy more. I see a few the same spot where I left them two days ago. I hope the rest is sifting my sand!

Tags
sand, setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com